Author Topic: There was a very upsetting death in the neighborhood  (Read 3951 times)

riverrat

Re: There was a very upsetting death in the neighborhood
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:57:51 pm »
so sorry to hear she passed. good effort on your part. i can only imagine how hard it must be to deal with. sometimes, try as you may , at whatever in life, it dont always work out. all you can do is put your best foot forward and go on. Tony

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 03:23:49 pm »
    Sleek, I can understand your feelings, I am not saying I know how you feel, only you know that.  But I used to be a fire fighter/emt.  Before that I worked in our central dispatch.  I always dreaded the call of a child drowning.  I was on many calls involving children.  Even though you tried, if she was down for too long, then, there is nothing that you could have done differently.  Death is part of life, you just have to accept, that you did the best you could.  I was on a call for a 2 yr. old drowning, not far from our station.  The Rescue unit and two medics rushed the child to the ER, and left the Driver of the engine and me with the Father.   While the engine driver and I waited with the grieving Father, we waited for the neighbor, whom was a nurse, to come over, and drive him to the hospital, the engine driver and I both felt completely useless, we tried to console the Father, and explain it was not his fault.  the kid somehow got past the safety fence, and fell into the pool.  The kid ended up dying, despite best efforts of two of the best medics we had.  They both were excellent medics, very skilled, and knowledgeable.  This was on Christmas Eve.!  But sometimes, it is just something where it is not for you to change, and you can't beat yourself up with it, and you just have to accept that you did what you could, and get on with YOUR life.  Be proud that you stepped up to plate, and at least tried.  I used to teach CPR classes, and people would say, well what if I did something wrong, and the person died?  I would simply ask them what if you did nothing what would happen to the person who was dying?  They would die.  Do something, even if it is wrong, at least try.  And you did.
I know it is not something that you see often, and it is in deed disturbing, but don't dwell on it.  If it still bothers, you ask the fire dept., or the responding medics, if they have a crisis council team.  Our Dept. did, and after a nasty call, they would come out and talk.  Even talking to the medics on the call, will help.
They, can give you insight, as to how they handle it.  Good luck, and thank you for trying.  You did what you could.
                                    Wayne

Offline Marks

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
I am working on setting up myself to become a first responder. I will not be caught unprepared again. I have been trained in the past but thats been a long 7 years ago.

It makes me realize that I need to take some sort of basic first aid training. Especially since I am raising a little one. I've always considered joining our local volunteer fire dept but never have had the time.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 06:27:31 pm »
I had a million things go through my mind,when i read your post Sleek and im not even gonna attempt to say anything,to make a difference,or make you feel better about this situation,except.....

I know its hard not to,but DO NOT try and justify any self blame on yourself in this situation,it will eat you up.Its a sad and absolutely awful situation,that i dont wish on anyone.

I will pray for all involved.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:34:55 pm by Traxx »

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:04 pm »
There will be an open casket tonight. Im going. Normally I dont think I would. But honestly,  I dont want the last image of this little girl in my memory to be what it is now. I spoke with the mother today. They tried two hours in the hhospital to revive her. Body temp suggested 20 min in the water. I got there too late. Terrible as it is I now know the was nothing I could do. It helps, a little. The blviewing will help me more I hope. Then I am concentrating all my energies on helping the family. The mother is sad but coping. The father bla.es himself as he was alone with her when it happened. He hasnt left the bedroom since. They need help.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »
I am working on setting up myself to become a first responder. I will not be caught unprepared again. I have been trained in the past but thats been a long 7 years ago.

It makes me realize that I need to take some sort of basic first aid training. Especially since I am raising a little one. I've always considered joining our local volunteer fire dept but never have had the time.

A very good reason for all of us to get certified in CPR. It's the best tribute to Sleek, to the child, and her family.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 09:36:06 pm »
Terrible.....my thoughts are with the parents...gut wrenching! :-[ :-[ :-[
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 11:52:44 am »
Wow man that's horrible. I have a couple little 2 year old buddies and I couldn't imagine that.
Good on you for trying, those poor parents

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:17 pm »
What a tragedy.  Some things can never be recovered from.  How sad.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 02:45:46 pm »
Kevin (sleek) has set up a fund to assist the family. I'm sending something in tomorrow's mail.  Let your conscience tell you what to do.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.