Author Topic: fishing arrows, a thought...  (Read 4660 times)

riverrat

fishing arrows, a thought...
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:47:35 am »
hi, as im making some small game flint pointed arrows for my new bow, ive been thinking about spring and fishing. bow fishing. so i figured id share a few ideas here with you all i have on a fishing arrow.maybe i can get some input and good ideas to give me something to think about before i decide how im going to build them.
 o.k., my idea. my arrows are going to be shoot shafts.so i figure i make them heavy and long since they will not have fletches.i figure put the fat end forward so more weight is at the front and so that once the arrow enters it goes through easily. as for a point, im keeping it primitive. thinking on using antler tip points.plan on sharpening the tips like a leather sewing needle with 3 edges. the reason being is that i can make them to fit onto the shaft, over the tip, rather than bound to it. it wont be glued on. mater of fact itll just slip onto the shaft and stay put due to friction. i figure i can drill a hole in the base of the tine and tie my string there. my idea is i shoot the fish. point lodges in fish or goes through. my arrow shaft disengages from point due to trashing of fish. it works kind of like a harpoon this way. my shaft will float around till im able to retrieve it. i pull in the fish by hand. i havent quite figured out how im going to fit the string to the bow yet.critiques ,thoughts,ideas, all welcomed. thanks Tony

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: fishing arrows, a thought...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:39:24 am »
From what I found out while making my Gator arrows a couple of years ago the line will also have to be connected to the back end of the shaft for any kind of arrow flight, if you just tie to the point the won't fly straight at all even a short distance. I used Cain arrow with a fore shaft that slipped in the end of the shaft with a trade style point with barbs to hold it in the gator after it was shot. :) Found a picture of the arrows I used, you could do the same with bone or antler
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:03:16 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:58:37 am »
I've been meaning to post a build-a-long for the arrow I made for the exchange. If you pull up that thread you can take a look at the finished product. I have the pics taken, but archery season got underway before I got the rest together. It ended Saturday, so I may be able to get things posted this evening. Keep an eye out.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:26 am »
thanks Pappy, very sound advice. going to figure a way to keep the string along the shaft to the nock.which will keep the shaft along with the point when i pull it in and help with arrow flight. Dakota Kid will look that up and keep an eye out thanks. Tony

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:11 pm »
Tony, you could attach the string to the upper shaft with a simple, primitive rubber band.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:27:28 pm »
Mullet i was thinking, a piece of leather with a tiny hole in it at the front of the shaft with line from point running through it, and by the nock with line running through it.should keep the line next to the shaft and trailing at the rear so it will fly decently.im gonna build one like we all have discussed and try it out out in my back yard trying to shoot a 2 litter bottle to see how well the idea will work. any ideas out there for how to attach some kind of spool to a self bow? in the past i just shot carp with a normal arrow and after it was done trashing about just walk out and grab it up. lol most times they floated up and were wigglin after a while.a few got away ill admit.what ill be going for is buffalo carp. i call them poor mans salmon. thats what it smells like and tastes like after you can them up.i like making fish burgers on the grill with them. ad cheese lettuce and tomato and youd swear it was salmon patties with cheese and the rest. dang...now im hungry for salmon patties...Tony

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »
I can't imagine you plan on taking a shot longer than 20 yards, right? You can get away without a spool. Use a 20 yards of slick lightweight synthetic string, like they use for gator fishing. Tie the loose end near your handle attach the other to the arrow. When hunting carry the string in the left hand in large loose loops. Drop it to the ground at your feet before the shot. I'm usually stationary when bowfishing (dock,pier, or boat) so I usually leave it at my feet.  If you pay attention to the rope (watch for knots and where your feet are), you shouldn't have a problem. Fly fishermen leave 40+ yards of line laying at their feet before a cast. As long as the rope comes up the opposite way it went down you're golden.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 03:47:50 am »
great idea Dakota Kid. yea its pretty "up close" shooting. most times less than 5 feet away.they are most times up right at the shore line near water plants. you can touch em with a stick.lol but boy when you do...splash zooooom ! .lol Tony

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 08:56:57 am »
 I read about someone wrapping the line around an empty plastic pop bottle. Hold the cap end of the bottle between fingers of bow hand.
Steve Bennett

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 12:09:22 pm »
Interesting subject here.I too would like to do some fish shooting.There are a lot of ponds around here.I'll keep watching here and talk to some of my FG shooting friends who shoot fish and get back to you if they have something that consistently works good.Personally a longer bare shaft[maybe tuned a bit] with string attatched to the nock end of arrow should work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 02:57:14 pm »
If I was shooting ten yards or less I'd just throw the line at my feet and grab it after I shot, or tie the end around my wrist.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »
One idea from watching the experts, in this case the Amazonian hunters that do a lot of bow fishing.

If your arrow is big enough, you don't need a line.  They often use 5 foot long or longer shafts.

Also, on regular bowfishing arrows, cabling them really helps. 

riverrat

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »
thats actually a good idea Mullet. maybe tie it to a branch or something? shoot the arrow and if the fish is hit it cant take off before i can get ahold of the string.Tony

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 09:27:34 pm »
this is the other way i made points on fish arrows in the past.the ones in the middle with bone point.seemed to work well with big fish.bottom smaller fish or birds.Tony

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:49 pm »
Are those honey locust thorns, Tony?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC