Author Topic: tillering sequence  (Read 3935 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: tillering sequence
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 01:12:48 pm »
Once a fella recognizes the weight he is dealing with on floor tillering, it will all come easier. For me personally I couldn't see what the limb was doing on the floor because I was dealing with an 80-90# limb. I was paranoid about making a 35# bow and all I could think about was getting the string on the bow. Once I got past that and started getting 8-10" of limb movement on the floor, it all came easier.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 02:08:40 pm »
Yep floor tillering has made tillering quicker and better.  Then I use the long string for a few initiall pulls a little wood removal then on to a 3" brace.  I now tiller out to about 24" then I shoot the bow in nursing it from 20" draw working my way up to 27" and shooting at least 80 arrows.  This works for me. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 04:49:55 pm »
I floor tiller first.Then I go to the long string looking for 10 inches of string movement and target weight.

Then I string it up at low brace. I mark a big line at the end of the fades  and keep working until the limb begins to bend there.

The past several years I remove wood out to the tips and back towards the fade and continue...one pass out...one pass in.

In other words I feel strongly both ways. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 05:29:19 pm »
  Yeah, I wish floor tillering worked better for me.  I just have a hard time getting it to look and feel right.  Once in a while it would work out for me, but I had so many bows messed up before they ever got to the long string.

Now, funny enough, when I do Mollies and such, and sometimes shorter bows like recurves, I can "floor tiller" by putting my hands wide on the limbs and pulling in a rowing motion with the handle against my knee.  For some reason, I can both see and feel the weight (approximately) and the balance of the limbs like that, no problem.