Author Topic: BM bow?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline sleek

Re: BM bow?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »
Thanks David but the bow is a flop. Way too much set far to early on. Took a total of 5" of set. I wasted good materials in a poor combination. Never gonna do that combo again. It came out 40#@28 and shoots like a wet noodle. It would make a wall hanger if one felt so inclined I suppose.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DavidV

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:56 pm »
Thanks David but the bow is a flop. Way too much set far to early on. Took a total of 5" of set. I wasted good materials in a poor combination. Never gonna do that combo again. It came out 40#@28 and shoots like a wet noodle. It would make a wall hanger if one felt so inclined I suppose.

Ha, didn't see the last posts. I'd wonder what would happen if you did a deep heat treatment on the maple before glue up, if that would help the belly take the strain... Or maybe maple just doesn't go well with boo. OP hardwoods here in springfield had some clean yellowheart that might make a nice belly. I can get you some of that rock next time you come up too.
Springfield, MO

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »
Some yellowheart would be awesome.  Im going to be there December 5th and 6th.  I'll be staying at Pats place as usual. We can meet up.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 03:58:43 pm »
Your a good sport sleek.Sorry about the bow.It's hard to argue with a boo back,maple core,&osage belly,but how about a hickory back,black cherry core & an osage belly?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

a total of 5" of set..... :o   What a shame that bow looks sweet.  Maybe back the Sugar with Hick, white oak or something else I guess the sugar dont like Boo.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 07:34:29 pm »
Certainly anything but boo. I shoulda listened to blackhawk but if I had, we wouldnt have learned now would we?

Lucky though these things are a cinch to build. its just bamboo isnt exactly easy for me to get.

Walks away mutter..... stupid chickenhawk.... shoulda listened..... smarty pants... etc....