Author Topic: Moose hunters?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline clewis

Moose hunters?
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:35 am »
Have any of you fine people taken a moose with a self bow and stone points? Helped quarter a moose the other day and wondered what poundage was needed, I know in my province the minimum requirements are about 49lbs.
Any thoughts or insight?

Clewis

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Moose hunters?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:58 pm »
It is on the bucket list....I personally wouldn't go with anything under 50 lbs and a quality stone point. Of course the shot placement is just as important. If you go down that road I wish you the best of luck and great hunting! Would be an awesome adventure.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:29:20 pm »
That is on my bucket list as well...I would love to be dropped off by a float plane and raft down an Alaskan river (yes, I may have read a bit of Jay Massey).  I hope 50-55 pounds from close range with sharp BHs and heavy arrows is adequate, because by the time I get to do that trip, it's pretty unlikely I will be able to pull more than I do now!  Good luck if you get out after them.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »
With proper shot placement and a sharp broached, i would think a 50-55 lb self bow would work just fine. At least that is what I plan on shooting my moose with when I get the opportunity to hunt for one. A moose hunt is on top of my bucket list as well.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »
that pound range and heavy arrow should do it,, especially if the bow is a hard shooter,, if the bow is shooting a 500 grain arrow close to 165 fps,,, as opposed to a bow with string follow that might be shooting 140 fps,, the extra fps will give you an edge on such a large animal I think,, :)

Offline Slivershooter

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:51:03 pm »
Osage selfbow, 58# @ 29", called in and shot at 4 yards.  The shot was broadside, passing through the near rib and stuck into the far rib  3/4 of an inch.  Penetration was hampered by archers paradox,  the arrow was not flying straight when it hit (feathers were tailing right about two inches).  75 yard recovery.  Metal broadhead, not stone.

Hi, Tim, it's been a few years.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:55:33 pm by Slivershooter »

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »
Shot at 4 yards...oh man.  Does that qualify as self defense?  What a magnificent bull - congrats!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:47 pm »
You Da Man....did I mention You Da Man!  Congrats!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:39 am »
I know a friend of mine shot a bull moose with a hickory self bow years ago.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed