Author Topic: More questions about boo shafts  (Read 5320 times)

Offline arachnid

Re: More questions about boo shafts
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 01:43:50 pm »
I thought about using screw in points for the boo shafts (since it`s hollow).
Anyone have good experiance with these kinds of points?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »
I've used them and they do seem to do fine but I haven't used screw in points for arrows for years, since my compound days. If you do use them I'd suggest a sinew wrap behind the point for insurance. Probably don't need it though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 02:17:21 pm »

I had to drill into them because the hole wasn't big enough, and I also applied gorilla glue to the holes. They had nylon thread wrapping + glue yet a lot of them broke, split or eventually lost their heads. They were 200gr screw in points...

The ones with the brass screw-in heads with the teeth on the inside, that are more like glue-in points have proven much more durable so far.

Does anyone here drill the nodes before heat straightening bamboo? I think I recall that the nodes could blow up with too much heat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »
I've never drilled a relief hole before heating and never had one blow up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »

Down toward the bottom of the page, my post
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.135.html

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 09:42:51 pm »
Down toward the bottom of the page, my post
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.135.html
Yeah, I just screwed the points into the bamboo with a drill after applying glue and wrapping.. Your way might work better.
I'm still partial to the plastic "foreshaft" for shock absorption, though I haven't tried it yet. I've broken plenty of arrows and it does not give me a good feeling.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:45:07 am by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 12:36:59 pm »
The reason I wanted the insert was so I could change the tip weight when I was bare shaft testing. I should get back to that, kinda got side tracked.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 02:27:45 pm »
rachnid, I know that you have taken a different direction with this, but I have made several batches of garden stake shafts over the years, and this year bought a hundred of the Chinese bamboo shafts off Ebay.  I  will NEVER again bother making a shaft from garden stakes.  TheC hinese shafts came 34" long, spined, not weighed, and I got a hundred of them for 129.00.  The quality of the material is AMAZING, although there is styill a lot that goes in to straightening and building the shafts. 

Now, regardless, One good trick for bareshaft tuning is to make several heads that can compression fit or screw on, of different weights.  I use the PEX plugs for blunts, and you could chuck them in a drill and remove material until you had a set of 160, 145, 125, 110 grains, etc... that can be forces onto the end of the shaft.  If it's too small, wrap it with tape or thread first, or whatever.  You could do something similar with large nuts of different weights.  You could even wrap them and insert differentm lengths of rods or 16 penny nails or whatever to play with head weight.

Some of the Chinese guys on Ebay sell field points that have parallel insides just for bamboo shafts.  Search Chinese arrow, and look for field points.  They slip on a bamboo or wood shaft,a nd are glued or crimped on.  You can also do the thread wrap with glue and then slip that head over the wrap and glue it again.

Inconsistency of the diameter is a reality of life with the bamboo shafts, because while they are all the same diameter generally, they just vary from, say 5/16 to 11/32 and it's all about node spacing, and there is nothing you can do about it.  Either your point end or your nock ends or both are gonna all be different diameters, just slightly.  I Wrapped the head ends of my thinner ones this year with spiraling slips of tough paper, and either one or two layers soaked in superglue would do it.  I stained the paper and a little sanding took care of the rest.