Author Topic: coloring feathers  (Read 2806 times)

fredie

coloring feathers
« on: November 22, 2015, 12:28:26 pm »
I want to diy some turkey feathers white and don't know how . any advise ?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: coloring feathers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 01:13:51 pm »
That is hard to do.  I've tried strong peroxide that I use for skulls and it didn't do much.  You can use kool-aid to dye them different colors.  You might try to find someone who raises white turkeys.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »
You will have to use white turkey feathers if that's what you want.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:35 pm »
Snow goose?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:14:12 pm »
I tried bleach from a hair dressers shop on Canada Goose feathers and by the time they got close to white the little hooks and barbs wouldn't hook together any more. The best way to get white feathers is to start with white feathers.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »
Domestic farm ducks, geese, some chickens and turkeys are white. This time of year is when they might be available.Check out poultry farms in your area. Wild game with white feathers include snow geese and swans. You might be able to find some molted gull feathers depending on where you live. Check local laws for potential infractions with possession of any of these wild bird feathers.

You can also post in the trade forum and see if anyone may have some they'd part with.

The stronger the bleach or peroxide solution the more it destroys animal cells. You're better off with a mild solution and a longer soak. Often times exposure to bright sunlight after chemical whitening can help further it along even more. This holds true for bone, horn, antler and most plant fibers anyway.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »
craft stores often have domestic white turkey feathers.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »
You can paint them with white oil paint.  You know, the type of paint normally used for oil paintings on canvas.  I've seen it done a couple times when an artist (who paints animals and such on feathers) needs a white background.  Never done it myself but I do have three painted feathers that look pretty good.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:46 am »
I would wager that a layer of oil paint would fuse the individual feather veins together. That would make it perform more like a plastic fletching. If it's a display arrow it won't matter, if not it may be an issue.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna