Author Topic: My little girl killed her first deer  (Read 9341 times)

Offline osage outlaw

My little girl killed her first deer
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:31:27 am »
My daughter really wanted to get her first deer this year.  She missed a spike on opening day with a crossbow.  We went back out Tuesday evening and a dog scared away the only deer we saw.  She wanted to try again this morning.  I woke up at 5:45 and when I opened my bedroom door she was standing there ready to go.  She said she had been up since 5:00.  After a little breakfast we got bundled up and headed for our stand.  I put a loc on  beside my ladder stand in a big red oak.  It was a slow morning until about 9:00.  A little doe came over the hill behind us and got ran off by a small buck.  They were straight behind her so she never got a shot at them.  A few minutes later the small doe came back around the point of the hill.  It came towards us and then started to walk back behind her again.  She stood up and turned around in the stand for the shot.  She stayed very calm and held the gun steady.  She took careful aim and pulled the trigger.  I was watching the doe.  It dropped straight to the ground.  I turned back around towards my daughter and she was hanging off the hand rail of the ladder stand.  She wasn't braced for the recoil.  I never use the rails on my ladder stands.  I put it on just because she was going to be using it.  I'm glad I did.  She had a harness on and it helped to stop her from falling any farther.  She managed to hold on to the gun.  She climbed back up and I showed her the deer laying there.  She was so excited.  We waited a while to calm down before climbing out of the stand.  She hit the deer a little high.  She used my Dads 16 gauge Stevens single shot.  It's the same gun I killed my first deer with.  I'm so proud of her.  I can tell she is going to be a great hunter and carry on the tradition in our family.  She sits very still and quiet in the stand.  She is already asking to hunt by herself next season. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: My little girl killed her first deer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
very nice! way to go!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:04:56 pm »
Very cool for you and your daughter, Clint. Congratulations!   8)
 Looks like some good eating there for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
Yee haw!!! Congrats to both of you, nothing like being there when your kids get their first kill, the last pic is the best man
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »
Way to go little miss outlaw!! Congrats on your first deer! And the lessons of safety first! That doe will be some good eating!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:20:42 pm »
Wow! Congrats to her, id bet she's very stoked.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
Congratulations to both of you!! Great memories!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
Man!  That is awesome!  Congratulations to both of you.  I'm surprised that stocking hat was able to stretch over your pride swollen head. ;) ;D  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »
That's his normal size head, Josh.  >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 02:23:07 pm »
That little doe brought more joy to my heart than any deer I've killed. I couldn't have been any more proud of her.  She looked like a pro shooting it.  Well, except for the falling halfway out of the tree stand part. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »
I can imagine a bit of the pride ya musta felt.  Congrats, bud!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »
Great picture of the two of you with her first deer, that will be something you both will always remember. Congrats.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »
Outstanding young lady, not just the deer but keeping your cool too !!!!! oh ya one other thing, thank God ya look like your momma 8)   way to go
rich

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 06:10:03 pm »
What a great story! Congrats Miss Outlaw!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 06:29:24 pm »
Nothing like the first deer.Congrats to both of you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed