Author Topic: years of Palo diagonal flaking now?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline iowabow

years of Palo diagonal flaking now?
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:03:47 am »
Going to explore punching a bit more. I have used more and more but not to a great extent because I was on the pattern flaking quest. I kinda understand that a little so time to add more skills into the mix. I have to give Tower credit. First he sent me an amazing set of points a couple years back and really got me excited about knapping and I learned to knap really thin and on his good advice I am thins morning looking for ways to take the skills I have and apply them to punching indirect. My first goal is to find a way to work with the tool an a way I like. Here are a couple pictures of my first go.
 I feel compelled to keep things lined up with how I currently knap that is my hand and striker. I even like the idea of backing the antler into my hip for support. I wonder if others are doing this way. I am sure I will settle on something here in a couple days that feel natural.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline nclonghunter

Re: years of Palo diagonal flaking now?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:52:18 am »
It does look like you got something up your sleeve.. ;D

I personally feel indirect punch knapping is the way to go....several great techniques being used and they all work. Look forward to your journey.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:01:49 pm »
could you use a leather strap to keep it in place?

do you support the underside by pressing the face downward onto your thigh? when i'm using indirect, i seem to get better flake travel when my finger is pressed against the underside; along the anticipated flake path.

Offline turbo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:02:44 pm »
Yeah, I'm on the indirect wagon as well, think a lot of people are nowadays. Keep us posted.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »
My guess is it'll end up being a combination of the two because I'm already seeing some advantage to indirect in certain circumstances. Also when thinning I'm guessing I may be able to thin after percussion using indirect possibly for a better result on smaller forms. This is just my guess at this point probably change my mind tomorrow

Offline turbo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »
I'm using indirect for mid/late stage thinning myself, still on the lookout for some bigger punches.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
I'm using indirect for mid/late stage thinning myself, still on the lookout for some bigger punches.
can you describe and show a picture
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:39:44 pm by iowabow »

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
I am also using stone to shape and reduce for the initial shaping. Then I am using indirect punch, for working platforms. Next is isolated platforms also indirect punch work...last is a hand flaker. An Ishi stick is used for making the platforms.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes