Author Topic: Hickory long bow  (Read 2524 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hickory long bow
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »
Here's a shagbark self stick that is about 4 years old and has been carried quite a bit target shooting bunches and through a hunting season.I can't really say how many thousand arrows been through it.I just never posted it when I made it.The edges on it are a bit too sharp for me nowadays.It's 64" TTT About 63" NTN.It's 1 and 3/8" wide after heat treatment.Barebones about 17.50 ounces.58#@ 29".The fresh bark pulled off look on the back.Leather dye put the color on it.Dyed jute string wrap handle.Back then I still had a thing for a partial shelf and velcro for a strike plate arrow pass.Shoot off the knuckle now with bone or horn strike plate.Nothing special about it really but that I can hit something with it and shot some deer with it.Wanted to show the degree of set it took after being used so much.Still a very good shooter.I remember it had about 1 and 1/4" tip set back when it was fresh.It now has about 3/4".Thanks for looking
Handle

back & tip

belly & tip

belly

Rest

rest again

end view

brace

and full draw....almost

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hickory long bow
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »
OOOOps darn gadgets....lol
BowEd
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:48:46 am »
Turned out nice Bead.  Great profile.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:13:24 am »
That is a great looking bow! Thanks for sharing Beadman i've really enjoyed your recent posts. :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:38 am »
Thanks fellas.I notice the set on this bow is pretty nice and even.That's a good thing.I was amazed back then by how well hickory took heat treatment of the limbs.Still am really.It would'nt be 1 and 3/8" wide with out it that's for sure.Thought I'd show this bow because I was helping a fella on here build a bow.Show him I could make a bow.....lol.Hard to do on a forum without actually being there.
BowEd
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 09:01:44 am »
It is a beautiful bow with a great looking tiller!
Are you saying it took less set as the years went by?
"I remember it had about 1 and 1/4" tip set back when it was fresh.It now has about 3/4."
I never had that happen. LOL.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:50 am »
   If that happen it was'nt totally seasoned when you finished it.  Almost not quite how long since you built it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:15:32 am »
One more pic.Top view profile
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:59 am »
What I'm saying George is that after tillering it rested at 1 and 1/4".After years of shooting and bracing time it slowly took a 1/2" more to be at 3/4" set back.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:55:30 am »
crookedarrow.....I could'nt of heat treated it really without it being seasoned.It would check.I remember it was dry when it was made into a bow.It was stored at 50% humidity too.When it was made.Anyway thought I'd just show that over usage and usage what happens to one bow of mine.Thanks.
BowEd
Ed

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 10:00:13 am »
Sweet Jesus man, put your ruler away....that bow has a great resting profile, shoots where ya look, and hits hard. On top of all that it looks very good as well. The fact that you like it after all this time is a testament to the craftsmanship that went into it.

Looks like a damned fine bow to this old man, you did good sir.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 10:35:23 am »
Beadmn. I really like it. That would be the kind of bow I aimed to build last time but didn't quite make it on the weight. I think your bow is really good looking in a straightforward way.

I got a little confused on the words describing set, too. But I understand it now as tip reflex, I think. 1-1/4", reduced by 1/2" over the years to 3/4".
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 10:44:37 am »
Very nice!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 12:40:28 pm »
Thanks fellas.Part of the reason I showed it too was that the ccase39 bowyer I kinda started coaching along with a bow might like that paticular profile for a bow he's planning to make here in a while.I don't know.Then he can move on to different more difficult and different type designs.
 Plan B I think the bow took overall set in it's limbs evenly but still kept the tip reflex the whole time.It's not working much at all 8" from the tip and stiff.Hickory is one of the most stubborn woods to dry heat bend in my experience.More so then osage.The spring back stuff after coming off the form.Bends pretty good with steam but will spring back some yet too from that.
BowEd
Ed