Author Topic: razor sharp  (Read 1833 times)

Offline jayman448

razor sharp
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
Im getting the hang of long flakes. I can make a point semetrical. But they are all ornaments so far. How do you get em so razor sharp as everyone says they can be. Mine look like they should be sharp but i can attempt to slice my hand open on purpose and have every confidence that it will never so much as break the skin let alone draw blood.

Offline Zuma

Re: razor sharp
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »
Most aboriginal points are not razor sharp.
They are mostly designed for penetration.
They do cut but not like a razor.
Big flakes can be razor sharp.
Of course the thinner the point the sharper.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:46 pm »
I think the sharpest points are the ones that are flaked from only one side on the last pass, and then the deltas are removed by pushing them to the same side that that last pass went. After that, leave it alone. It gives the finished point a little different look, but it is very sharp if the stone is capable of being so.

WA

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:46:52 pm »
I'd agree with both these guys. Make sure you grind sufficienly before your last pass so that you are pressing off flakes rather than crusihing the edge. Beyond that - have a sharp tip. You are looking for more of a steak knife rather than a straight edged razor.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:29:04 am »
Serrations are your friend! I usually press all of mine from one side but only half azzed, flip it over and then dish out each serration. Your not driving flakes when your sharpening. Literally just popping them off in a pretty straight up and down motion. Make sure when dishin them out you leave points between them. I test mine by lightly pulling across my finger. If it cuts, it's good. If not, then I dish em out some more.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:47 am »
Having sharp points is a big reason for learning how to thin well. A feathered edge from a flake is said to be sharper than a surgical knife (obsidian I believe). So the edge can be extremely sharp. I always say if you ain't bleeding, you ain't knapping. Trying to get better at the not bleeding thing.
If you have a thinned point it is easier to sharpen in my opinion. The steeper the edge the blunter the edge, but you can still have some sharp edges. Laying the point on your palm, on a piece of leather and just catching the edge with your flaker at an angle will give good results. Push to much into the thin edge and you crush the thin edge you are wanting. As said if you want to thin the edge then lightly abraid and push off some thinning flakes, then "flick off"" small sharpening flakes with a small pointed flaker. Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:52 am »
The video below explains exactly how to get it razor sharp.  Ryan Gill is a friend of mine and I have handled his points and they are far sharper than any points I have felt made from some of the best knappers in the country and other stone point hunters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nSRLn7ybJM
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:17:31 pm »
Good video!

Offline jayman448

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:44:34 pm »
Alright. Ill have to take a look at that. My latest one made of bassalt is pointy as all hell, but again its more stabby than slicey. Also, if its so hard to get such a sharp edge, i woukd assume a good service able knapped blade is hard to make??