Author Topic: thoughts?  (Read 4083 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:15 pm »
Laptop repaired!

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 09:15:25 pm »
  Start with the best stave can find.

Me presonally I would'nt wast my time. I sure you can find something that deserves you sweat better than ,somone said walking stick.

Plus hawthorn not a good canidate for a short bow. Even with sinew. Not saying theres not a bow it there it is. Question is do you the right man to let it out.

While I wouldn't waste time on this stick why do you say that about Hawthorn?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 04:49:03 pm »
Hi All,
I  stood the bow in the corner to finish seasoning for a while, hence the gap in posts. I have now tweaked it to align the string to the centre of the handle and rasped out the centre knot and patched it, I have also heat treated out some  of the reflex, taken it to brace and drawn it to 6".    Currently it is over target weight and slightly stiff in the tips.  I can't post pictures because it broke my string :o  Reflex is now 1.75"and spread uniformly along the length of the bow. Should I straighten it some more before I sinew it- it does try to twist in the hand when stringing it and I'm guessing sinew will increase the reflex??.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 04:55:36 pm »
if it will stay string, sinew it and see how it does,, don't go crazy on the amount of sinew,, maybe 500 grains or so,, you want a bow that will shoot,, you can push the limits with a better piece of wood,,