Author Topic: ishi stick photo for nc  (Read 4413 times)

Offline iowabow

ishi stick photo for nc
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:49:01 pm »
Ishi stick photo. The antler tip is not retouch ever. The tip is replaced. This post is for NC.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline nclonghunter

Re: ishi stick photo for nc
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »
Thank you for posting the picture. Just so others will know that hole is not for a Allen screw, it is to pry the antler out when it gets to small.

I thought the tip would be tapered more but it is very close to mine which also wore into the rounded end. Makes sense.....Thanks
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »
Hey John, I took a picture of my Ishi sticks and a hand flaker. The hand flaker is made of Osage. The Ishi sticks are eastern red cedar.....

I think I will need to drill a hole soon to get that one antler out. They are wrapped under the brain tanned with hemp cordage.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:31 pm »
Thank you for posting the picture. Just so others will know that hole is not for a Allen screw, it is to pry the antler out when it gets to small.

I thought the tip would be tapered more but it is very close to mine which also wore into the rounded end. Makes sense.....Thanks
Yes and so the small lifting beads placed under the bit can be pushed out as well.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:41:08 pm »
I have this plan to turn used bit into beads. These can be worn around  the neck untill needed.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:59:45 pm »
This is made from osage.  After making about 150 points the part where I hold it with my hand  became so slick so I added the ridges.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:18:33 am »
Here is my thought on the rounded end. If the tip is always getting round and it wants to be round then let it be if it can be used to make a point naturually. Why fight the current just swim with it. I am to lazy to always be sharpening tools.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:55:24 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:32 am »
The bit is held in place a wood splinter with a compression fit.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:25:19 am »
I agree with the sharpening the tip, you get great flakes as it it so why change it. I made my antler tips as a compression fit which I am now thinking is not a good idea. I will enlarge the holes and go to adding shims to tighten...

Would like to see some others Ishi sticks and hand flakers...post'em up boys!

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
How strict is everyone going to stay within the ABO theme. The first ishi stick looks like a broom handle. Others look much more ABO.  I also would like some ideas on ABO tool maintenance or do you go to the garage and turn on a grinder or use old grinding wheels.  I have seen guys at Flintridge use ABO flakers and then grab a battery op dremel to clear stalls on their notches.

Maybe someone can start a thread on ABO tools and techniques for us newer knappers.