Author Topic: up tight society?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline bushboy

up tight society?
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:16:11 pm »
I offered up a bow in support of my children annual Christmas silent auction but the principle decline as it was a weapon.it's a hunting weight bow so it was meant for the adults to buy tickets for.thhoughts?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline half eye

Re: up tight society?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »
I have done the same for several years....they were accepted and brought fair money, maybe it's different here in Northern Michigan?  Personally I'm getting real tired of all this PC Crap, makes me glad to be old.....
rich

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »
The local art gallery took all my art except a
full life buck deer bust carved from wood??
I am with you half eye good to be near the door.
LOl Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
you might want to talk with the principle more often.

he might have a perfectly rational reason for turning down your contribution, or then again, he might not be the person you want to have in charge of your children's education.

John32r

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:27 am »
This is why we need to bring back military conscription -- this time for every man, woman and child.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 03:50:07 am »
I think the principle is doing the safe and responsible thing, I may not agree though. We all love and respect the craft and sometimes it's easy to forget that not everyone else does and may end up in irresponsible hands who may injure themselves as much as others. It sounds like he is being safer than sorry which I can't really knock, and he may also be taking into account other parents of a more sensitive disposition who may not be comfortable or feel it's appropriate with what is in the wrong hands a dangerous weapon being auctioned for the children's auction. As a principle he's just looking out for the potential grey areas. I doubt he meant to be disrespectful though. Just another point of view for a balanced debate.

Ruddy Darter.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:24:38 am »
Good point Ruddy, but my thoughts are we are Wussafying America. Can't protect everyone from everything as big brother likes to think he can and also the principal probably just wants to keep his job. ;) :) You know how it is now days just one person gets something started and he is out of there. :(
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 04:44:36 am »
AMEN Pappy ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:24:34 am »
I offered up a bow in support of my children annual Christmas silent auction but the principle decline as it was a weapon.it's a hunting weight bow so it was meant for the adults to buy tickets for.thhoughts?

there are too many cry baby sensitive parents so the principal has to up hold the "no weapons" policy so other parents don't complain...my son whose in 3rd grade made a wooden arrow at Marshall from a bent stick, and some left over materials from guys building arrows and a stone he found.  He was beyond proud of it, and took it to show and tell, and to show his art teacher because they were studying cave paintings - within 2 hours we got a phone call to come pick up the arrow as it was described as a "weapon" from a parent volunteer who saw my son carrying it in the hallway between classes.

My son was crushed...neither of the teachers had a issue with it nor considered it a weapon neither did the principal but she had to uphold the policy so some parent wasn't so butt hurt. 

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 09:26:43 am »
It kind of surprises me they even call it a Christmas auction. :( it was on the news last night in one school system the principle sent out a memo to all teacher to be sure their Holiday party's weren't just disguised Christmas parties. ??? some people just need to get a life. ::)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 09:49:42 am »
Pappy, you are absolutely correct sir. After all my years in law enforcement I have a perspective that a lot of people just cant seem to grasp.

Basically, laws and locks are for honest people. Crooks, malcontents, bangers and so called terrorists dont care about laws (who cares what kind of gun/ weapon you use to rob a bank or kill people). That means that the law abiding people (not armed) are easy pickings for them. Basically I believe I would preffer to "teach" a child to defend himself (including weapons) than to teach them how to cower and hide.

I know I'm an old man and dont know crap, but here is my personal thoughts.....better to go down in the gunfight, knife fight, or what ever than to bow down and depend on the mercy of a terrorist, because they dont have any. There is a very old cop saying that goes.....the color of mercy is red. I went through the 66-67 big city riots and that whole black panther stage, placating malcontents DOES NOT WORK.
rich

Anyway, sorry for the rant. feel free to crap the old guy's ramblings.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
Yep rich, well stated. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:01:49 am »
bushboy, Just my 2 cents. Why not build the bow, do a raffle somewhere (facebook local shooting club) and donate the money to the school. Then you both win. And someone who appreciates your work ends up with your bow.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:21:51 pm »
Joe my two cents worth is if i can't come in the front door, i ain't sneeking in the back😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:16 am »
Principals sit at an epicenter of BS trying to balance out everyone's individual brand of nuts.  I've been graced to work under some truly fine ones and some down right criminal ones.  You won't see me pursuing that job.  Tough enough teaching...
1’—>1’