Author Topic: up tight society?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: up tight society?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 07:17:20 pm »
Thank's for the replies!i'm just kinda saying things have changed. When I was a kid I got a lick if I was doing poorly or causing trouble in school!seems today it's all the teacher fault.not sure where this is all heading?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 11:18:32 pm »
When I was a kid I was a shoe shine boy. Prior to that I was a paperboy. When I was a teenager I was still a shoe shine boy. When the cops picked us up for our mischievous  doings they either confiscated our beer or called my father, sometimes both. I would generally prefer that they just confiscate the refreshments. My old man was  a pretty understanding parent for the most part but you never wanted to get his dander up.  He did explicitly explain that we could get away with stepping across the white line with some understanding on his part but lo and behold if mother found out about it we were due for an ass whoopin.

Good cops used to be the norm. Their job wasn't to inflict punishment or straddle you with a record. They were our protectors and guides, our off beat parents per say. Too bad times have changed.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:01 am »
The only difference between any tool and a weapon is how you hold it. If one were so inclined, they could injury someone with any of the items in the auction. You'll never get rid of violent tenancies by banning certain tools. In fact banning things, often makes those things more desirable to troublemakers. For example, look at how the "Just say no" generation turned out. 

When I was in high school(1992-1996) we shot archery in gym class. We also had a rifle club that shot .22's in the basement. One time a teacher overheard my buddy and I discussing our hunting plans for after school.
He asked "Do you have your guns in your car?".
I replied "Yes."
He exclaimed "Bring them in and put them in my office, someone's liable steal them out of your car."

Then Columbine happened. Now the same school has metal detectors and expels students for pocket knives and nail clippers. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 05:33:41 am »
Yep times have changed, My machine shop teacher use to have us bring in our 22's in around Christmas and let us leave class and go shoot mistletoe for decoration around the shop, my senior year we built a black powder canon and fires it off on the foot ball field, and of course we had a smoking area. ;) :) :) Yep they have really changed not sure for the better. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
I was on the rifle team in high school and almost every truck in the parking lot had a shotgun on the gun rack in the back window.
 A friend went to Ga. Southern College. They kept their shot guns in their rooms or car trunk. The dorm monitor asked them to keep their weapons in her room and when they needed them she would give them back. One morning about 4am they went to her room to get their guns for a duck hunt. After that she said to keep them in their cars or closet in the rooms.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
I began a reply and then realized what ya'll were likely struggling with also. It's a bit difficult to keep such a discussion from being politically/lifestyle neutral.

Obviously the killings at our schools and public places has played important role in changing "rules of the road". But I believe there's also another change (and probably many others).

In 2011 I did a 4-month 4200 mile x-country tour of US on me bicycle. My route was largely on state/county highways and mostly avoided urban areas. So I visited many many small towns. Small town America is disappearing. The prosperous independent rural/small towns common when I was growing up are now endangered species. My cycling tour showed that majority of small towns are dead or dying or in process of being swallowed by suburbia. Small towns shared many attributes that are different than urban/suburban areas. I'm soooooo happy me and my kids had opportunity to grow up in small towns.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 10:59:32 am »
A comment more so than a suggestion:  I bet if you took that same bow and decorated it up some which-a-way and offerd it as Native American inspired art, it would not only be accepted in the sale, but would bring twice the price.  If you tagged it with a tribal name, like "Cherokee Inspired", it would bring triple.  "Weapons" are not PC, Native American appreciation and art is PC.  Sometimes you cut across the grain, sometimes it is better to follow the twists and go around the knots.  It is very hard to know the difference.

Keith

Offline bushboy

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 03:22:05 pm »
Here's a look,kinda has a NA look I think.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 05:44:51 pm »
Sometimes you cut across the grain, sometimes it is better to follow the twists and go around the knots.  It is very hard to know the difference.

will try to remember that one!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857