Author Topic: Half dozen new target arrows  (Read 2897 times)

Offline make-n-break

Half dozen new target arrows
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:26 pm »
Well.. After a fairly long spell of dedication to natural shoots with primitive fletchings, I thought I'd use the DIY shaft maker v2.0 to make a batch of good ole traditional shafts. Been turning shafts like a mad man but I finally got a half dozen finished up. Since they're matched lumber, might as well get out the Bitzenburger!

I must admit that it does feel good to turn a dozen trad shafts in the time it takes to straighten one shoot. Might take a little mini vacation from all-out-primitive and enjoy the beauty of traditional woodies for a while :).

Oak
21/64 diameter
31" length
5" parabolic
Self nocks
Spar urethane finish lightly dulled with OOO steel wool

They're heavy. I'll weigh them when I get my grain scale back. I'm loaning it out. They're fast for their noticeable weight though. I reinforce my self nocks with every other species, but not oak. Never had an oak nock break. Makes a durable shaft that requires little straightening once you've got 'em trained. I've grown fond of the plain-Jane look and it's my go-to style.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:13:56 am by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Half dozen new target arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
Very nice buddy! I need to make me some like those!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:39 pm »
Yep, like that look.
Rounded bottom of your self nocks are nice. Maybe you'll show me your technique at MoJam.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:35 am »
Thanks gents. I'll bring my jig, tools and some lumber to mojam and we can make a few batches.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:02 am »
Thanks gents. I'll bring my jig, tools and some lumber to mojam and we can make a few batches.

Sounds good,  can you post a picture of your jig when you get a chance?

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 10:58:59 am »
Patrick, go a couple topics down on the first page here in the Arrows section and look at "Simple DIY Router jig for lumber shafts V2.0 Pics added". That topic shows the original setup I used for a couple years and a new and improved version I just made last weekend. The new version is also in the same topic on the last page.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:09:22 am »
Looks good I've always wanted to turn my own shafts. But I have to say while you have that red string out and you wrap  the fletchings to protect your finger I'd wrap those nocks also.
One of them will break at some point and when it does things can get ugly real fast. Oak is tough but it sure splits easily

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
Looks good I've always wanted to turn my own shafts. But I have to say while you have that red string out and you wrap  the fletchings to protect your finger I'd wrap those nocks also.
One of them will break at some point and when it does things can get ugly real fast. Oak is tough but it sure splits easily

X2

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »
Thanks!

Patrick

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 07:02:33 am »
Looking good MNB.  I would also wrap those nocks just in case, a little insurance for your own protection

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 08:56:01 am »
I'll go ahead and wrap them. I haven't had any troubles with oak splitting, but you guys have a lot more experience than I do. I have a strange feeling that if I don't do it now I'll regret it later lol.

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »
Good looking arrows. I like the larger diameter arrow.  I have a Nifty nocker which is a jig for self nocking arrows. After cutting the self nock I glue and insert a piece of black walnut in the cut and then cut in my self nock.  Gives it a good look and the self nock is a stronger nock.