Author Topic: Viking table top zig zag sewing machine.  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Viking table top zig zag sewing machine.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 01:34:19 pm »
I recently received through trade a 1914 Singer model 66, treadle operated machine.   I have heard they are good for heavy materials like leather,  although I have yet to try it out.  Anyone have any experience with them.?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
I have an old Singer treadle shoe tacker that sews leather well but the base is narrow to fit inside shoes so it can be tedious to sew straight.
  Ed, will you be coming to the Classic this coming spring?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »
I hope to Pat.If I can get away from Robin or she can come along....lol.
Aaron....I had a treadal foot run machine once.Sewed a few things with it.I think a couple of fur hats maybe.It was like trying to chew gum and rub your belly in a circle at the same time if you know what I mean.Your hands are doing something while keeping in mind the rythum your feet have to go as the foot moves the material along and you sew a straight line....lol.You'll have a cast iron counter weight that has a round leather belt connected to your sewing machine that helps the armature move your needle up and down with centrifical motion.Quite an invention I tell ya.DON'T sew your finger.....lol.It'll have a tension setting for thread and all like any other sewing machine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »
Now some treadal machines have an electric 1/4 horse powered motor to make things easier.What that does is give relief to your foot a break to keep it going.You stop it by putting your foot back on the treadal.You play with it Aaron when you have the time.There are supply places around for parts from Singer warehouse yet too if you look deep enough.Eastern Iowa...Davenport or Burlington.
I think the Viking has a 1 horse powered motor on it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 12:07:47 am »
I used to get the Treadle machine I have going 90 mph with one foot on the top of the treadle on one side and the other foot on the bottom of the treadle on the other side. As long as I was going straight it was OK.
 I still have that machine but its been over 35 years since I've used it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:37 am »
Yea Pat I know what you mean.As long as it's in a straight line.....ha ha.I picked mine up for nothing.Had to soak it in a bucket in diesel fuel for a few days to lossen it and clean it up.It's not on the table no more.I used the cast iron table for a kitchen table with an oak table top on it now.
BowEd
Ed