Author Topic: Post pics of the Christmas Trade gift you recieved here  (Read 13634 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Post pics of the Christmas Trade gift you recieved here
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2016, 10:01:29 pm »
Glad you like it Jonah. I've been sitting on that pile of sinew for a long time. I hope you'll put it to good use.

The turkey call is a pot call. The friction surface is anodized aluminum. Love that stuff, works in the rain, unlike slate. The wood is ambrosia maple. You can you tube "turkey pot calls" for tips to use it, lots of good info there, but I'm always available for questions also.

The feathers...Him and about 15 of his friends came running to that call 20 minutes after the sun came up. He was the first in range. It was a short hunt, but I'm glad it was, because it was raining like crazy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
I finally got data back on my phone and a minute to show off what I gt from Tim Rome last Saturday. I'm not sure what his handle is. He gave me some awesome stuff: a bunch of different hardwood blocks, an thick leather pad, a bunch of turkey feathers, sinew, knife blank, a beeswax block and a bear fat beeswax block, some tile samples, some other things I can't think of at the moment that are in the picture and some delicious wild plum jam. The jam is about half gone now. Thanks a bunch, I've already got plans for a good chunk of it.

Kyle

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2016, 11:36:50 pm »
I'm glad you like everything Kyle!  I hope you can get some use out of that drop spindle and hemp. I figured you could make bowstring or cordage. I've had a heck of a time trying to get the hang of mine.  And that leather is bison hide. Its really nice stuff.  I don't know if sand plumbs grow anywhere else but they have a great flavor to them.  Hope you get good use out of everything!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
I received my gifts from Mo_coon-catcher and absolutely love the quiver; hair on deer hide, fully enclosed, side hole extraction. I have a winter shoot coming up here in February. Now I have a quiver that matches the rest of my gear. While it's a single string/ no wheels event, I'm usually the only one with primitive equipment. There are pics of the quiver in the other gift x-change thread. There were some other materials as well; extra primitive cordage wrapped on the quiver, a muskrat skin,  rendered deer tallow, some banded obsidian, and a couple pretty pieces of wood(ERC and zebra wood). All of which will be put to good use. Thanks again Kyle.

My package is going out today. Sorry to keep it's recipient waiting until the last minute, but I tend to take the extra time if it's available.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline thomcout_96

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
I received a package from Jeff Paclar yesterday. Got all I need to make my own arrows  >:D. Got sinew treads, target points, fletching, arrow shafts and pitch glue from pine or birch?
I really like the target points made of cut bullets and the shafts looks straight and nice. Thanks to you Jeff I like the gift and will make some nice arrows from this I hope! Now my package is going South to someone  ::)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:35 pm »
Thom, I am glad you liked the package.  The shafts are Phragmites reed, bamboo, and apple shoots.  The reeds will need wooden fore-shafts, and there is a good buildalong that explains making phragmites arrows.  The bamboo and the apple wood probably need more straightening and sanding to match weight and spine for your bow, but I tried to leave them a little stiff to give you some room to do this.  The points are not bullets (although I like that you thought they were) but are made from three counter-tightened brass nuts that are ground down and polished.  The glue is pine pitch glue.  A couple of days ago I found the three knapped arrowheads that were supposed to be sent along with the package, so those will come in a little bit.  I have been sick as a dog for a week, so I haven't been able to get to the post office.

Make sure you post pictures of the finished products.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »
Well guys, we are about to wrap this Christmas Trade up. There are a few packages in route to their new home and one or two going out soon.
Please be sure to tell Bruce or I when you ship out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kid bow

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 09:08:52 pm »
sent mine out 2 days ago. hopefully my guy gets it soon and I hope he likes it.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline looper

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:53 pm »
I received some thoughtful gifts from Dakota Kid. The portrait of Ed truly astounded me. Thank you, Mike. It will all be put to good use and is most appreciated.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »
I'm glad you like everything. Congrats on the new house by the way. I'm a little jealous. I need to get myself out of the city.

I should mention this as a word of caution. Wear a mask while sanding that mussel shell. I always do/did just because they smell like swamp/dead fish when you work them. Last night I was using my sander to touch up my pressure flaker. I didn't bother to put on a mask for a 10 second touch up, but should have. I had been working on the shell earlier with that same sander. I dislodged a bunch of shell dust that had been trapped in the grit and got a lung full. Within 10 minutes I was hacking, sweating, felt sick, and had the chills. An hour later my joints were stiff, had an awful headache, and my hands were numb. Thankfully I was easily able to connect the symptoms to breathing the shell dust or I would have spent the night at the ER in a panic. After 24 hours I'm still sore and coughing and my hands are still tingly. Apparently there is a specific reaction some people have to mother of pearl dust, which I'd never hear about. I guess I'm  susceptible to this reaction. From what I read, the symptoms should be gone in 72 hours with no permanent damage. Just be sure to wear a mask and clean your tools afterward. I'd hate to see anyone else feel this miserable on my account. If the polished inlays didn't look so awesome I'd probably just stop using it, but it's worth the extra safety measures for such a gorgeous looking material.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline warpath

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »
Received a sweet whittling knife from BLaflair today. I'm having trouble with my camera so hopefully he has pics to post. Curley Koa handle and very sharp blade. Thanks bud!! It will be well used!!!

G-Monee!!  >:D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
Received a package in the mail today from Rblusthaus.  It was a very nice birdhouse, some gar scales and some pitch glue.  I will have fun putting the gar scales on arrows.  I think I will make a primitive knife too.  Thank you Rblusthaus.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:11 am »
You are welcome. 

The house is sized for Wren, and I suggest, if you are going to hang it, that you put some dirt or dried grass in the bottom, and hang it with its back to a wooded area, with its face opening into a cleared area, and to hang it soon, so it has time to weather and for the paint smell to wear off.  If in a good location, you may get 2 sets of baby birds each year. Enjoy!!!

Russ

Offline sleek

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2016, 05:17:22 pm »
Sorry i took so long to post here. I didnt want to talk about what i got until i shipped, which i did today. Sorry to my recipient for making you wait.

I recieved a box that had a bag off crap. Yup. You read that right. I recieved poop. And some rocks. And you know what? I thought the poo was a nice personal touch. 

So these rocks, he sent me a very nice flint knappers starter kit. I have been doing my best to get into it and he made me a nice ishi stick and some other pressure flakers of differwnt sizes. Also some ( well a lot really ) of mahogany obsidian. As well as bits of cut glass to get technique down. He also supplied me with aome flint or chert? I am very ecstatic to have this box of goodies.

Now, he also sent a fire making kit with a ferocium rod with a key ring that is now on my chain. He included different barks for tenders. This is where the poopie comes in. He sent rabbit dookie dried out to use as tender. I would never have thought of that. Caca spark catcher. So simple and its actually everywhere. This shiza is literally everywhere to be used. The idea could save my life. Thanks!

I would post pics but my phone currently is not getting along with photobucket so i cant.  But picture the most awesome box of rocks and dung and thats what i got! Thanks very much, i am very grateful and will be using it a bunch. I keep in my truck so when ever i am waiting on a train, or waiting on my wife to get off work, or ridding shot gun, i am knapping.

Son of Massey, you really truly couldnt have done a better job. Again, a very heart felt thank you. You have helped me further my own ability to self sustain, survive in wilderness, and be a general bad @$$ when hunting. I need to flint knap me a KA-Bar now and make a bow with that  >:D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 05:45:17 pm »
I recieved from wizardgoat  today a sweet display arrow and a sapling stave of I believe yew. Not for sure on that. I thank you much wizardgoat.  I am sure he will be along to let me know for sure and the arrow has a wicked looking point on it. Thanks again  I really appreciate it.