Author Topic: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge  (Read 143985 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge
« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2016, 07:06:17 pm »
Matt, I bet with some little 3 mm carbon arrows, fast flite string and floppy disk fletching you might get 300 yards or more.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #481 on: April 18, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
Floppy disk fletching?  As in a 3-1/2 inch floppy disk?  Interesting...
I plan on 1/4" cedar with goose feather fletching to keep the "natural" thing going.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:36:30 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2016, 08:42:53 pm »
  Matt, I would use the densest wood you can find, the arrow will have such low mass as it is it will have problems fighting the fletches. I had some water buffalo horn sliced up into .010 thicknesses for fletches but I don't have any left. something very stiff and thin and maybe 1/8 high. paper might work. Tonkin cane is almost double the density of wood if you could find some short pieces of that.

Offline DC

« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2016, 09:06:54 pm »
How do you attach something like floppy disk material? It is kinda- floppy, and has no flange or whatsit.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #484 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:49 pm »
Looks like you are there Matt !
this has been a fun time and we are not even there yet!
se ya next week for a trial run
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #485 on: April 19, 2016, 08:13:23 am »
  Matt, I would use the densest wood you can find, the arrow will have such low mass as it is it will have problems fighting the fletches. I had some water buffalo horn sliced up into .010 thicknesses for fletches but I don't have any left. something very stiff and thin and maybe 1/8 high. paper might work. Tonkin cane is almost double the density of wood if you could find some short pieces of that.

Steve:  I've got water buffalo horn milled down to about that.  It's super thin.  I milled it down when having to come up with reinforcements for my broken tip.  I'm also going to try some thin River cane that PatB is bringing.  I did shoot my little boy's 12" arrows through it which are 1/4" cedar but the fletching is taller.  They flew okay at about 10 yards in my basement.  I'll have to try your suggestion for flight shooting it.  What do you think about bamboo shish-kabob skewers?  I'm thinking they might be too small in diameter.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #486 on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:32 am »
Matt, you can get 1/4" solid bamboo rods in the cake decorating isle at walmart.  There is some slightly smaller diameter bamboo grilling sticks in the camping section.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #487 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:44 am »
I picked up some of those grilling sticks in the camping aisle at Wal-Mart this last weekend.  They measure .200".  I may have to go back and pick up the .250" cake decorating ones, thanks for the info Clint.

Offline Badger

« Reply #488 on: April 19, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
  We like to use about 1/4" for a 24" arrow, if you could get down closer to 1/8" it might be better. The very light weight of the arrows is what fights you at this point though. Not enough mas to carry them through the air. Tonkin cane is the only natural material I know of that has the real density that is needed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: April 19, 2016, 01:11:56 pm »
Matt, the hill cane I'm bringing for you guys are between 1/16" diameter up to about 3/8" diameter. This hill cane is pretty dense stuff.
 Steve, I'll be happy to send you some hill cane to try if you'd like.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2016, 03:00:04 pm »
That'll be great, Pat.  Looking forward to seeing you.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #491 on: April 22, 2016, 04:30:54 pm »
I was wondering how high a brace you guys are using, so far I've been at 2" cause these bows are a bear to brace
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #492 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
Bubby,
I scaled down a 64.5" ntn bow with a 6.5" brace height and I'm using 2.25" .  It shoots better than I can shoot it, if you know what I mean.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #493 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »
Thanks dbar, i figured someone would use a more logical approach than my typical wing it style
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #494 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »
Matt, you can get 1/4" solid bamboo rods in the cake decorating isle at walmart.

Ya bake too, huh?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857