Author Topic: Tillerin twist out of a stave? Now a question about my handle wrap?!  (Read 9685 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: Tillerin twist out of a stave?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
Looks like it's coming along....get that right limb bending and the inner 2/3s of the left limb.  I'll hopefully get some pics up tomorrow of progress on mine.

Offline ajooter

Re: Tillerin twist out of a stave? Tiller Update would like some input please
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »
Well I wasn't able to get all the twist out of the bottom limb.  The top limb came around nicely.  The picture on the tree shows the bow at 22" @30#.  I am drawing it by hand out to about 24"  I don't know what it is about drawing a bow on a tillering tree but it makes me crazy nervous!  The bow is an asymmetrical design, top limb being about 1.5" longer, parallel to midlimb at 1.5"  and tapering to now 1/2" tips.  As of right now there is a slight positive tiller at maybe 1/8".  I lost some of the reflex I tillered into it but I expected that.  After two steaming sessions on the handle I think I got it where I wanted it.  Just wanted to get your thoughts on the tiller thus far.

Offline ajooter

Re: Tillerin twist out of a stave? Tiller Update input is welcome please
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:54 pm »
I foroot to add that the bow was intended for my aunts husband and I would have to tiller it out to 29".  Looking back I wish I left it wider as well but it is what it is.  I do have some rawhide I could back it with.  Right now it has some of the cambium left on that I lightly removed with a scraper.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 06:57:07 pm »
Tiller looks great. If you are backing it, now is the time.
What is the ntn length?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 07:12:45 pm »
I just realized I didn't note the length...it's 64" George.  If u go for that drawlength do you think I need to back it? 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »
That bow lined up nice for ya like I thought it would.Nice work.Hickory is hard to break.I've tillered a few 64" hickories to a 29" draw length.Narrower than yours.It'll handle it.You might lose a little more reflex but you've got some to spare it looks like.You can put rawhide on but I really don't think you'll need it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ajooter

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 08:16:37 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging words guys.  I didn't take the cambium off as neatly as I would have liked so I may clean the last 6" up on the tips and back it.  I'm thinking about staining it first similar to gordans vine maple in the build along he just did and then backing it.  I will get it to full draw first of course...fingers crossed.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »
Really nice work. Tiller looks spot on to me. Love the handle area.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline ajooter

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:26 pm »
So I tillered out to 26"@37#.  I heard a pop and just about puked on my shoes.  I looked all over the bow and found a spot on the back where I think some of the cambium came loose.  I think I'm going to rawhide back it and then finish tillering it out to hopefully 29".  Any thoughts on the pics?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Tillerin twist out of a stave? Bit of a problem....maybe
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:28 pm »
IMHO...It's hickory....I think is was just cambium....I would not back it and continue.............. :) JIMHO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ajooter

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »
This has got to be the worst part of tillering...when your right there and you just need a couple more inches....does it get easier or does everybody get butterflies at this point?!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:29 am »
Looking good, if that is cambium you should be fine,I always like to take as much of that off that I can just because of that reason. I can't tell from the picture if it popped at the knot , if so that ant good. :-\ if not you should be good. And yes it gets a little easier but I still get a little antsy especially if I am going for a long draw length and I conceder 29 pretty long for a 64 inch bow. Is that 64 N-N or T-T.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ajooter

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:03 am »
It's ttt on this bow pappy....there are some small pin knots there but the cambium came off around it.   In hindsight I would have definitely started the bow longer and been able to save myself a lot of grief.  I may finish it out at 28 and see if it fits him.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 09:01:19 am »
Cool, I always like to check a person's draw with a light bow and arrow marked and tell them not try and be macho just draw it like you normally would, lot of folks think or say they have a 28/29/30 draw but I find very few really do when checked. :) Hickory is really tough but with pins you never know as with any wood. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 09:12:10 am »
Are you sure that is cambium?
What Pappy said.
I was helping a man who swore he had a 29" draw.
It was 25"
I vote for a rawhide backing.
Head'em up! Move'em out.
Jawge
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:26:36 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!