Author Topic: A couple close calls  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: A couple close calls
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:55 am »
It seems as a society we are due to have the forthcoming self-driving vehicles.  They are on their way.

Very glad your family is safe, Clint.
1’—>1’

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 11:10:52 am »
Exactly, I hear folks say stuff like "oh I don't know if I would trust those things to drive" and I'm like, have you ever driven on the roads, with like, other people?! lol

Offline Will B

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
I'm glad your son and wife are OK.  Good reminder to count our blessings and never take the time we have with our loved ones for granted.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Vehicles are probably the most dangerous thing you will encounter in a normal day.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »
Put a 16 year old kid behind the wheel and its even more dangerous.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
I have one that's just starting to drive too. I shared this with him, every chance I get to drive home the importance of paying attention I take.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 12:51:55 pm »
I wonder how much their driving is influenced by video games and movies like "Too fast and furious". Are they thinking that this is how you are supposed to drive?(or not thinking)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »
I think texting or messing with their phones is the bigger problem.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:58 pm »
I think texting or messing with their phones is the bigger problem.

It is scary, the number of people I see driving while on the phone, or texting, or some other manipulation of a phone. It is not legal here to do anything but answer your phone while driving. My coworker was broad sided by two teens in a Camero last Monday, The kid wrote on his report that he was going 60 at the time of impact. In a 25 zone. 
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 07:48:48 am »
The best news is that everyone is OK and that is not always the outcome.  I worked road patrol my first 15 years and I have been at many many bad accidents. Fortunately the electronic age had not been born yet so I cannot imagine how many accidents are caused by texting and phone use while driving.  I have seen many people reading a book or paper while driving down highway roads and these clowns that have the family pet sitting in their lap while driving are just that, clowns.

Every state needs to adopt the hands free only cell phone use, blue tooth only.  I was stopped in Texas a few years ago for talking on the phone while driving.  My wife was working as a travel nurse and called me to come pick her up from the hospital. I got stopped by a rookie who had a Sgt for a training officer.  The rookie did the investigation while the Sgt asked me about my police pension. the Sgt told me that I was not going to get a ticket but if I did it would been worth  $150.00. 

All states need to outlaw talking and texting while driving unless it is hands free.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 07:57:35 am »
First offense texting and driving = suspended license for 4 weeks. ZERO tolerance. Second offense = 1 year.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:12 am »
I wonder how much their driving is influenced by video games and movies like "Too fast and furious". Are they thinking that this is how you are supposed to drive?(or not thinking)

more than likely its a learnt behavior probably watching their parents drive more than video games or movies...or phones as Clint said.

Glad everyone is safe Clint, hope you guys are done with the bad luck. 
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 09:33:37 am »
Dang bud,  I'm glad no one was hurt. Hope your son gets the kinks worked out soon.
We have to remember while driving a vehicle that it is a dangerous machine. Better luck in the future bud!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 12:32:54 pm »
I live in some degree of constant fear about this sort of thing.  My son is a college boy, ...and drives very well, but is sometimes inattentive.  My daughter is an overly cautious driver, which can actually be WORSE at times.  I wish they would have inherited my 'Perfect Driver' genes, but alas, I appear to have kept those for myself.  ::)

Sorry you guys suffered some close calls Clint, but I'm sure glad it wasn't far worse, which is often is for young drivers.  I know you can't get your loved ones to live in Kevlar armor swathed in bubble wrap, ...but sometimes you'd like to try! ;)

OneBow

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 12:56:23 pm »
I think close calls are the quickest, surest way to learn. They drive the lesson home like,"Holy crap, this can happen to me!!" You just need some luck along with it.