Author Topic: Maybe the little guy was chilly  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Maybe the little guy was chilly
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:24 am »
My first thought,when reading the story was,that the calf was abandoned.Chances are it hadnt nursed and recieved any Colostrum and most likely would have died anyway,unless it was fed Colostrum by bottle.I doubt they do that in the Park.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 02:12:45 am »

Posted: May 19, 2016 1:12 PM MST
Updated: May 19, 2016 1:12 PM MST
Utah woman catches Yellowstone bison calf incident on video

There’s an unbelievable twist to a story that's making headlines around the world.

A Utah woman says she not only saw that young Yellowstone National Park bison calf that ended up in a tourist's car before they took it -- she has the video to show just why they thought the baby was in trouble.

Natalie Kinzel was at Yellowstone last Monday with some family members when she saw a herd of bison crossing a river. She decided to take a video and quickly focused her attention on a calf struggling to swim.

She said she watched as the little buffalo got swept downstream -- ignored by the other animals. The calf eventually made it out but was soon left all alone.

"It was just heart-wrenching because it was literally collapsing and there was no buffalo around," Kinzel said.

She kept recording as the calf alternated between leaning against her car and standing there, shivering. "It was so pitiful," Kinzel said. "We were teary eyed when we left."

Later, she learned what likely happened. Two tourists picked up a baby bison they said was lost and shivering, put it in their SUV, and took it to a ranger station.

They were cited for disturbing the calf, which was eventually euthanized after efforts to reunite it with its herd failed. "I don't blame the people for wanting to do something," said Kinzel.

It's impossible to say with certainty that the bison in her video is the same one that ended up at the ranger station, but Kinzel is convinced it is. All the details match up -- same place, same time of day, and same description of a baby animal lost and cold.

"It was very hard to watch," Kinzel said. She admits she wanted to do something to help the calf, too, but she didn't.

She also said those who have criticized the tourists should have some compassion, “I'm sure that they thought they were trying to help.”

The Canadian tourists were fined more than $100 for 'taking wildlife' unlawfully.
I imagine they are out of a bit more, due to having to wait for court.
     There is also a warrant out for the arrest of the three idiots, who took pictures of the signs warning to stay on the board walks at the springs, and then took videos of themselves stepping off the boardwalk, and  walking on the springs area, then the idiots, posted it online!  After they were notified they were in trouble, they went on line, and apologized, and offered to pay money to the park for each person that opened up their link, up to $5,000.00.  But then took down the site, and offered to send the money to the park.  The park has issued a warrant for their arrest now.  They are supposedly film makers for their site.  Which at the moment I can't remember.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:53:37 am by stickbender »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:21:51 pm »

Posted: Jun 02, 2016 6:40 PM MST
Updated: Jun 02, 2016 6:40 PM MST
Man who put Yellowstone bison calf in SUV pleads guilty
By MTN News
Connect

The story of Yellowstone National Park tourists putting a bison calf in their car sparked headlines across the country. (Photo Courtesy: Karen Richardson)

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK -

A federal magistrate has imposed $735 in fines, fees and compensation on a Canadian man who loaded a bison calf he came across in Yellowstone National Park into his SUV because he thought it was cold.

The calf later had to be euthanized because it couldn’t be reunited with its herd.

Court records show Shamash Kassam of Quebec entered a guilty plea over the telephone on Thursday to a wildlife violation.

U.S. Magistrate Mark L. Carman ordered the penalties, which include a $200 fine and a $500 payment to the Yellowstone Park Foundation Wildlife Protection Fund.

A criminal complaint states that Kassam came across the bison calf on May 9 and put it in his vehicle out of concern for its welfare.

Wayne