Author Topic: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp  (Read 24834 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2016, 05:46:51 pm »
Here at jw's and he is loaded and we are heading to pre-camp setup
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:50:03 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »
Home for the week

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2016, 09:38:03 pm »
Looks like a nice home. 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2016, 03:57:07 am »
Cool lookin' spot - good luck Guys ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2016, 04:29:07 am »
Yall have fun and keep us updated.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:37 am »
Awesome camping spot!
Good luck to all.
Take a lot of pics for us turkey voyeurs.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline iowabow

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:38 am »
I can early because I have to leave camp early so I was the only one camping and babysitting the gear that jw brought out. I got up at 3:30 and had heavy rain so I spent the early morning setting up the tent. The rain stopped so I am out running the hills not trying put a Hunt on.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »
Good sign...about 20 birds ran across the road close to camp on the way out! Lot of last year's hatch in the crowd including a mess of dumber than used dirt jakes!  There was one really nice looking mature bird, too. 

I had gotten a call earlier in the day and had to abandon Mr Iowabow to his own devices while I drove further south to pick up an injured raptor.  Initially, the woman said it was an American kestrel, smallest of all falcons in the western hemisphere, a whopping quarter pounder.  When I asked her about confirming details, we determined it was NOT.  Her best guess, then, was a goshawk.  Well, a gos' runs up to three pounds, a whole lot bigger.  Goshawks are a species of great concern here in the Black Hills, so I was gonna get a move on!  When I got there to pick up the bird, I was shocked to see an adult PEREGRINE BLOODY DANG FALCON!

Whereas the goshawk is a species of great concern, the peregrine is listed as critically endangered in the state despite how they have recovered populations otherwise in the country. 

I could not find a broken bone, but one wing droops and she was incapable of flight.  Possible soft tissue damage, possible sprain, possible hairline fracture/break of radius or ulna though not both...all things that require a proper rehabilitation veterinarian to get involved.  I spent most of today arranging to get this bird hauled halfway across the state to the nearest licensed rehab facility.  But she has a great chance of being back out in the wild soon, so it was worth it.

We fed her some rabbit livers/hearts/kidneys last night to help her restore some energy.  Unlike hawks and eagles that are easy to forcefeed (pry beak open, push food down the throat and do it FAST), falcons are notoriously persnickety!  I got bit no more than 25-30 times.  Luckily, my hands are fairly tough from working with wood and hand tools, so no major stitching needed! This morning I thawed the one and only precious sharptail grouse breast in my freezer and donated it to her. 

Hopefully, helping this falcon will appease Nature's Powers That Be and they will smile upon we simple minded homo sapiens as we hunt a turkey with a brain the size of a shelled walnut.  May we not be too badly humiliated, shamed, and sent packing with nothing to show for our measley efforts!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2016, 03:17:12 pm »
Good going J.W., that's a great thing to do.  8) fantastic birds.

All the best, Ruddy Darter.

Offline DC

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2016, 03:47:46 pm »
She's a beauty!!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2016, 03:51:15 pm »
One of of these days I will convince my wife and the government to let me care for one of those beautiful raptors!

I'm not sure which one will be easier to convince...

Offline bubby

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2016, 04:57:01 pm »
Quite the looker she's a beautiful bird
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2016, 06:10:43 pm »
One of of these days I will convince my wife and the government to let me care for one of those beautiful raptors!

I'm not sure which one will be easier to convince...

It's a heavy responsibility. It's one of those things that doesn't take a lot of time but it has to be every day. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a like minded friend you can't leave. And I believe that the friend would have to continue with any training you have going. If, for example you were in the middle of training a new bird to eat from the hand and your friend just threw a hunk of meat in the cage you would probably be starting over when you came home. I had a recently caught Northern Goshawk when I got my job with the telephone company. I had just got her eating off the glove. The company decided to send me out of town for a week. All I could do was cut her jesses and turn her loose. I was 19. haven't had a bird since.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:53 pm »
Really tough day from snow, ice to a hot day. My goal was to locate birds for tomorrow's hunt. I found three gobblers just at sunset and kinda have them located. I have a valley their near.  In the last photo that is my truck on the right side near the horizon. Hard to beleive this was the same day.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:28 am »
Jw calling to Tom. It might happen!