Author Topic: Raised knot  (Read 2195 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Raised knot
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »
Would you guys be worried about this knot?  It's left wider, and the grain has been followed.  But I am worried about it being raised to much and in my mind that is a place where it could be under more stress and maybe start a splinter?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Raised knot
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:25:51 pm »
Start digging out that mass, or you could possibly end up with one heavy limb, could cause some hand shock.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:28 pm »
looks like you have done a great job of working around the knot,,
if it was my bow,, I would leave that part of the bow just a little stiffer,, :)

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:44 pm »
It looks like a lot of mass and it might need some trimming but there is a huge hole!!  It's angled too so a lot more not there than it looks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:48:02 am »
It depends what you want the bow for...
I'd guess a bow with that much character isn't likely to become a hard working hunting bow I'd think it's more for challenge and for show (I may be wrong).
It's about how it bends... is that area flexing at all, because it should, same as the rest of the bow. But it's never going to be a highly tuned flight bow.
Thickness is the main issue, , try to get the general thickness similar to the wood above and below the knot.
The bulky ridge is interesting... can it be taken down a tad, or should the belly be shaped in to match that ridge. I'd favour carving into the belly to match the shape of the back. But don't over do it and create a cavity that can collapse
Del
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:51:37 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:17:56 am »
I have built a lot like that and it shouldn't be a problem, leave a little stiff in that area, mass isn't much of a problem because of the hole, if you measure the total limb it's not much different that the rest of the limb if you took the hole out.  :) I would thin the belly in that area
a bit like Del suggested , other than that ,carry on. And Del it will make a fine hunting bow, killed lots of the KINGS deer with some very similar.  ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:35:49 am »
I'd leave it be and tiller as if it wasn't there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:55 am »
Ahhhhhh...oh no...theres a knot and a hole in my bow!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  good advice from everyone above....itll prob be fine,but ya never know till ya bend it  ;) thats one of the fun things about bow making...either good surprises,or bad!!!  ::)

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:30 am »
Thanks everyone!  Just wanted to make sure because otherwise it's a really nice stave.  Wide rings, natural matching (with a little help) recurved tips.  I personally love character like that.  Its a little stiffer than the other limb so I've got some trimming to do.  I'll get it tillered and then make it or break it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:46:46 am »
Nice job on that know. Leave it and tiller it a little flatter than the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!