Author Topic: BL stave problem  (Read 3237 times)

Offline sapling bowyer

BL stave problem
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:56:42 am »
I recently cut this black locust stave that has a bend in it.It is 62 inches with the bend but if I cut it, it will be 50 inches. Can I steam bend this so that it is straight or is it hopeless? Also the wood is green if it helps.
Time is short

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: BL stave problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:35 am »
Clamp it straight while it seasons and it will help. You'll have to wait to see how much it helps and go from there. Depending on your layout, you might be able to leave the bend as reflex and bend the straight side to match. I don't have much experience bending green wood so I can't help there. I have corrected BL with dry heat bending and it worked fine.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:24:52 am »
while its green you can try to "help it" straight.the advice of clamping it and waiting till it drys is sound. after it dries and after you start to get it to floor tillered stage you can heat bend it straight. too much right now while its green will weaken fibers robbing it of strength later.Tony

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:33:59 am »
Let's see the whole thing. If the right side is clean just make that a reflexed end and heat the other end to match.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:27:22 am »
I assume it is a sapling from the excessive crown  with not enough heartwood for a bow. That's fine. Just leave the sapwood back.

If it were my stave, I'd begin to floor tiller it getting it to bend a couple of inches. That way it will be thin enough for steam bending or you could wait for it to dry in a few months (?) and use dry heat.

Then, I would bring it to long string tiller and just before I would be ready to string it, I would back it with rawhide or some such. Unless your draw is short, that crown is problematic especially since you cannot leave the stave a few inches longer.

Yes, sir. That's what I would do.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
I'd do what George suggested. I would bring it to floor tiller and steam it straight. Later, if needed I'd use dry heat to make final corrections.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:08:44 am »
...and don't forget to seal the back...ASAP.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:18:05 pm »
thanks for all your answers. It checked a few inches because I couldn't seal it right away. Seems that BL checks very fast
Time is short

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »
Yes, it does. Get some poly or polyacrylic on that pronto.
Shellac will work too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 06:22:53 pm »
That short and narrow, i would deceown it and do everything George says.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:04:46 am »
since I don't have access to shellac or anything else, I covered the ends with wax and  the back with lots of olive oil. Hope it works
Time is short

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »
glue will work also
wax would be ok on the back as well

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:57:58 pm »
You can even add masking tape to the back. It will seal it, not as well as other things but its better than nothing.