Author Topic: Good crosscut saw recomendations  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Good crosscut saw recomendations
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:04 am »
I'm thinking about getting a one man crosscut saw soon and all the necessities that go along with its maintenance. I could just get a chainsaw, but I can never keep those finicky things running when I actually need them and I like the quiet simplicity of using hand tools, even when power tools would be quicker and simpler.  Does anyone have a recomendation for a good one? I'll be looking at cutting 95 percent hardwoods and the other 5 percent being ERC. Most trees cut with be about 15" diameter with the largest being about 24". I understand the importance of properly setting the teeth and rakers to work properly for the intended wood type. But have no idea where to start on the saw itself. All recomendations are much appreciated.

Kyle

Offline E. Jensen

Re: Good crosscut saw recomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:02:10 am »
3.5ft or 4ft tuttle tooth one man saw.  I've gotten into saws myself lately.  I've got one like I just mentioned I've got to refurbish, if I ever get around to it I'll give you a call, but look around, its a very common tooth type.  More common than lance I've found.  Make sure it's got all the teeth.  Learning to sharpen is tricky, don't compound that with learning to create new teeth.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:56:20 pm »
Depending on whether or not I can find a good older one. I think I found a decent new one. What do you think? It's a little shorter than you recomended at 3'. But I'd think it should do. The job I would be happy with. I'll look around and see if I can find a good used one.bany suggestions on a good price point to expect for a good older one?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »
15" is pretty fat, especially for hardwoods.  I'd look for at least 3.5'.  Also I don't know how much difference it makes but that saw doesnt seem to have rakers on the first foot or so.  Decent used ones on ebay for $50-100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-42-One-Man-Crosscut-Saw-with-Helper-Handle-/141879168680?hash=item2108a84ea8:g:JEIAAOSwCypWmolz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-3-ft-Sears-Fulton-One-Man-Cross-Cut-Logging-Saw-w-Helper-Handle-/201504341869?hash=item2eea983f6d:g:2iMAAOSwUV9WmWzy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-One-Man-Crosscut-Saw-48-Long-with-Wooden-Handle-/400605092145?hash=item5d45ec9931:g:gXAAAMXQUmFSgBtb

I'm personally looking for a 4 or 4.5" tuttle tooth, but it'll  have to wait until my wife agrees haha.

Btw as far as I know, tuttle and champion tooth mean the same thing.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:52 am »
Going by your recomendations I found one on eBay that looks good. 4' blade Tuttle teeth looks like it has all of them and has two auxiliary handles. After shipping it was $105 way cheaper than the new ones I could find that only had 3' blades. It's already ordered and will be here in a little over a week. Now to get all the sharpening equipment. I hope I made a good decision on te saw.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:58:29 am »
Where did someone come up with a price like that for a used item?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:01 pm »
I don't have any personal experience with them yet. But from what I can gather its because the older saws were made of much higher quality steel than modern. They were a springer steel than they are made with now. in addition to typically being taper or crescent ground to resist binding where the new saws are flat. So if they are in good shape they go for a good price. And that's still cheaper than a new saw of lower quality.

Kyle

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:41 pm »
Looks about right