Author Topic: Osage sapwood  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Osage sapwood
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:11:50 am »
I got a stave from this gentleman I know that has over a 1/4"of sapwood on it. I don't think there's enough heartwood to make a bow with any weight so I was wondering if any of you guys have ever built an Osage with a sapwood back. He showed me a few bows his dad built back in the 50s that are still shooting. The contrast looks pretty cool. The stave is pretty wide if that would help.If I had to back it would rawhide do the trick?I wish I could post some pics but I can't get them small enough with my Iphone.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage sapwood
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:34 am »
 I haven't made a sapwood backed osage bow yet but I know a lot of other guys have. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:05:55 am »
Yes, it will work with a sapwood back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:10 am »
Steve, I made an all sapwood bow and have made several with sapwood left on.  It will work.  Still, need to follow the growth rings though.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:11 am »
Ive done it as well...one other tidbit to add....if the sapwood looks good n sound,and was properly cared for and stored indoors then it should be good to go....sapwood on osage is like the whitewoods in the fact that it will detiorate rapidly in poor conditions like left outside uncovered etc....

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:56:59 am »
I have made several and they are all good performers. I only broke one and thats due to too short a working section.  I make em like normal same width and all. Just ne sure tje sap isnt deteriorated like blackhawk said.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:07:11 am »
Yes, I have with osage and black locust but only when I have had to do so.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:22 am »
Thanks guys. I just started cleaning it up a bit. The sapwood is really thick in places and undulates thru the stave. I'm not sure whether it will make it clear to the belly or not but if it survives this bow hack it will be beautiful! I might go for a bendy handle and not too heavy,maybe 45# or so.

I'm no where near as smart as my phone!