Author Topic: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016  (Read 331385 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2016, 04:48:25 pm »
Hey guys, I have not been on here for a while so I thought I should get you up-to-date on my progress. I have three bows started, a yew, vine maple, and ocean spray. I have not yet decided which one to go with, but so far I am leaning toward the vine maple. The gentleman I am assigned is a tricky one to build for. I do not think he will be impressed with something fancy or stylish so I need to keep it simple, elegant and perfectly executed.  And that is easier said than done. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me. As soon as I pick my candidate I'll start posting pics.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:58 am »
Worked on mine Yesterday between working the concessions at our event, seems it picked up a little weight , was 50@ 25 with an inch or so to go, after a few light scrapes here and there it's 50@ 24, :-\  and 53@25 still right on target and tiller looks good , just need a little more weight taken off. Not quite sure why it picked up weight but Guess that's a good problem to have. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2016, 01:58:17 pm »
Gordon, you know the deal. Check in......or check out! No time for slackers in this swap :)

I lied about the Tuesday delivery of my offering, guys. Looks like it will be delivered today rather.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »
I'm not really feeling that big recurve right now, but i think there is a really cool bow inside this stave just waiting to be released
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2016, 06:34:26 pm »
I agree, good color to boot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2016, 06:57:54 pm »
Thank you for the reminder Pearl. I believe my previous post meets the requirement.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #501 on: March 22, 2016, 01:17:34 am »
Somebody is going to have a 68" piece of PVC on their porch next Tuesday with a return address label that has my name on it...:)

And that lucky somebody is me! I put several arrows through this bow and I am so impressed with its speed and how soft it is in my hand. I was ready to give up on locust but you have made me into a believer! The semi-pyramid limb profile, slightly stiff and flipped up tips is my favorite go to bow design and your execution is perfect.  The skin, leatherwork and handle lines are clean and exquisite. The tips are shaped, grooved, and polished to perfection. I am a demanding critic and I have to say that your work is first rate. I'll bet it was tough to let this bow go out the door but I am delighted that you did and I am proud to own such a fine weapon. This bow deserves a proper photo shoot, and I will take care of that this weekend. Thank you my friend!
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2016, 05:12:52 am »
Congrats Gordon, can't wait to see it. I am moving slowly along. Got mine out to 53@26 last evening and put 25 or 30 more arrows through it. I think I will stop at that weight and tiller for now and go ahead and start some finish work, thinned and shaped the tips some more now that everything is lined up and also put a hemp wrap grip on yesterday also laid out some snakes from the freezer,[need skinning] now need to decide which ones. :-\ Chicken/Copper head and black racer,[all road kills] guess I will see what matches up the best. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bushboy

« Reply #503 on: March 22, 2016, 06:54:25 am »
Beautiful profile!looks awesome pappy!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #504 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:08 am »
Congrats Gordon!  I'm looking forward to the pics!
Holy smokes Pappy!  That baby is looking beautiful! 
Lots of fine looking bows being made so far.  I've been concentrating on getting ready for the classic so not much progress on the yew takedown yet.  I will be getting after it hard after the classic though.  Josh

Stringman

« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:00 am »
Happy for ya Gordon! Please do give us some pics!

Offline Badger

« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2016, 08:11:09 am »
Pappy, that bow is looking great!!

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2016, 08:21:44 am »
Hey fellas, just wanted to update yall on where I am. I have 2 bows going, well, 3 actually, Ill post some pics soon. Everyone else's bows are looking pretty darn sweet!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2016, 08:27:10 am »
Thanks for the kind words, Gordon. I'm glad you like the bow. I shot it A LOT before I sent it off, even short drawing to 27" I could hit a 4" circle at 15 yards over and over. Some bows just have it and some don't! When goat asked me to join the swap I asked him if I could choose a name, he didn't mind at all and I already knew who I wanted to build for. It was a pleasure and challenge to build a bow for you. You build some of the best bows in the country and I knew you would look it over with a detailed eye.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2016, 08:27:50 am »
Pappy, that bow is looking sexy! Somebody is going to be tickled yeller!