Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691693 times)

Offline Drewster

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #765 on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:06 pm »

Glad that worked for you Drewster

Rich, prior to your post about steaming, I would have probably steamed the handle for 45 minutes......obviously NO NEED TO.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.  The narrow section in the handle is a good inch wide and 2" thick.   Would you have steamed it less time?   Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #766 on: February 02, 2016, 04:14:13 pm »
Those look good kid...I miss that poor man's shrimp.

I'm sure we can collectively get you straightened out mud....well the bow anyway  ;) post some pictures of your layout and the grain orientation you mentioned.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #767 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:21 pm »
Rich, people around the world seem to think alike -- re. perch glue. This should be interesting! Hmmmm what about fresh sturgeon roe?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Re. short time handle steaming, reaally looking forward to trying that.

CabinetBowguy, Drewster mwosborn, bows look great guys!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #768 on: February 02, 2016, 04:28:18 pm »
Drew,
     Depends how it "felt to you" when you did the bend. If went right to shape like a wet noodle then next time I would try 8min. I do my bends by hand just for that reason. I really try to steam for only as long as necessary and no more......likewise if you steam for a period of time and as you make the bend and feel some significant resistance ....then stop and pop it in for a couple min. more. I look for it to "yield" not real super easy or halfway hard. Guess thats about the beast I can describe it.

AJ, you got that right

PlanB, you got too much free time brother >:D
rich

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #769 on: February 02, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
Stuck - I have a couple of sanders.  I was talking about a drum sander that would allow me to sand lamination down to a very specific thickness or taper a lamination from one end to the other.  Thanks!
Have seen home-made jigs that allow a drum sanding attachment in a drill to run as a thicknesses, will try and find plans if ur interested?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #770 on: February 02, 2016, 04:47:35 pm »
Thanks!  Gutshot hooked me up with a jig idea for my ridgid oscillating sander - we will see how that works.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #771 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:41 pm »
guys all bows are looking good.

Ive been talking to Rich and I have switched my BL from a rigid handle to a bendy. First time I've tried making one. But Rich walked me through on the lay out of the handle. All heat treating is done , I have got my string alignment good finally. So now its tiller time! Thanks Rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #772 on: February 02, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »
Gutshot, looks real good sir. I especially like the character of the back of the bow.....sweet.
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #773 on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:47 pm »
Gutshot - that bow is looking good.  I've seen pics of several bendy bows Rich has made - they all look great.  He knows what he is doing!

Why don't you pan up with your camera and give us a shot of those critters hanging on the wall!!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #774 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »
OK - been wanting to try and build a jig to grind lams using one of my sanders.  Paul (Gutshot) gave me some suggestions so I went ahead and worked a little bit this afternoon.  The aluminum angle is bolted on one end and adjustable on the other.  Haven't tried it out yet, but I think it will work!  Maybe? :-\
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #775 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »
That's looks great gut....has lots of character likes its creator! :P

Offline half eye

« Reply #776 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:40 pm »
Mitch, Gutshot....now that is slicker than snot on a doorknob  8) 8)
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #777 on: February 02, 2016, 07:49:38 pm »
Hey you got to be creative when you need to drum sand. It's slow but works good.

Mitch I like that yours is a belt sander.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #778 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »
If plan b gets a decent glue out of those skins, I'll try a batch with roe in it with my next catch. That's the part I really don't like to discard. 1000's of potential meals that never got to be. My grandmother used to eat it battered and fried. That I won't do while other food is still available. I wonder if it will make my bow smell fishy?

It's too late on this round. It's too warm and they're in the trash outside.  I'm not going to be opening that lid again. It was starting to turn a little this afternoon, but bearable.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #779 on: February 02, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »
Fred if I may make a suggestion that might help you keep your sanity. You should start another thread for Q&A and this one can be for progress pics and small talk. That way questions don't get missed. It is hard to keep up with all the posts.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna