Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 126653 times)

Offline JonW

Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2016, 06:28:15 pm »
I know for a fact it will make a bow. Been there and did it.Three times as a matter of fact.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:37:16 pm by JonW »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2016, 08:28:49 pm »
Now that I've got the sinew on my bow for the otherbiw trade, it's time to get started on the one for this trade. I've been wanting to build an ELB for a while and never have yet. So what other time to try a new to you design than during a bow trade. I've for two pieces of wood I'm going to try it with. Noth are very straight with no knots. One black walnut, the other ERC. The cedar with get a maple backing the walnut with be self. The walnut is 76" and the ERC is 68". Any idea how the walnut will work for the design? It'll be 50-55 pound so nothing extreme.

Kyle

Offline JonW

« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »
I think the walnut might be weak in compression for an ELB. Never tried though so dont listen to me and try it anyway. Thats what I would do :)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »
Doing it then!! One more question on it, the stave is near perfectly straight. It 3" wide and 2.5" deep after squaring the edges. I only need 1-1.5" width. I don't have a bandsaw accessible for the next couple days. So will walnut split well enough to risk splitting to get two staves or wait till I can get to the bandsaw. It's hard to use a stave that large to only get 1 bow when there are 2 hiding in there.

Kyle

Offline half eye

« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »
Hey Mo,
     I have made some NA's from Black walnut some flat and some narrow...but never an ELB....about the splitting....I never had anything good happen by splitting I would wait for your saw and be SURE. But that's just me
rich

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2016, 09:05:12 pm »
Alrite, I'll wait to do any more with the walnut until I can get to the saw and try to get the ERC ready to take the maple backing. I've made a couple of flat bows from this same walnut tree that turned out decent. I still have to finish one of them though. I have it a couple inches from being shoot able and havnt taken the time to finish it yet.

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2016, 09:24:26 pm »
Found that sassafrass tempers good! Sample size was just 1, but it liked the tempering.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »
Project is to fashion a bendy handle bow. Recipient's specs are 50ish# @ 26-27". Had in mind to flip tips moderately and deflex handle.

Stave chosen is pc of red elm that's 58" long.

Here's a few pics of the elm stave with front profile outlined in black marker.

It's 58", ttt. 1 1/2" wide @ fades & out to mid-limb, then to 1/2" tip. Handle is 1" wide. No major knots, but numerous pin knots ... often in clusters.

First, overall view.

Now, lower limb, showing tiny bit of handle, then fade, then limb.

There's pin knot near left edge midway down limb.
And another, also on left side, near tip.
Rest of this limb is clean of knots.

Now, the problem child, upper limb. Again showing bit of handle, then fade, then limb.

7" from tip on right side is cluster of 3 pin knots. Black marker shows a plan to make limb wider in that area so they're not right on edge. If, instead, I make limb taper a straight line, 2 of the 3 pin knots will disappear leaving just one very close, but not RIGHT, on the edge. Any thoughts on best option here?
Other major headache in my view is limb just beyond the fade.  On left side is cluster of 3 pin knots. One near edge and 2 more nearer limb's center line. On right is cluster of 2 pin knots located midway between limb's edge and limb center line.

Given the clustering and location of pin knots in this stave, am not confident re odds of success. I do have available what appears to be relatively clean pc of osage .... though have not yet removed bark.

Recommends are invited! Thanks for looking/reading.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline half eye

« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:45 pm »
Knoll,
      Kinda bein the poster child for dumb I have made red elm bendies with pin knots before and really never had any trouble. The red elm around here has pin knots that are really hard and dont disturb the grain too much....cant say on yours though. I did mine cause I didn't know any better ::)
rich

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:30 pm »
Since your plans are for a bendy handle I'd say it will fly for ya.Be nice to have a little more width though at least with the type of red elm I've got here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2016, 05:51:31 pm »
Mike is hereby further banned from making board bows. Who will second this motion?

Offline half eye

« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »
"I"
rich

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:03 pm »
D@*n!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:25:31 pm by Knoll »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2016, 06:25:45 pm »
'Board' = 'Radically de-crowned stave' to my way of thinking - - - so, ...I'm gonna say boards are fine, ...even for Mike! 

...but if he can do staves like that pretty Elm number there, I'm all for it!  Perhaps he should just be regulated to an acceptable limit of board bows per stave bow he completes.  How's that for Progressive thinking?  ;) ;) ;)

OneBow

Offline JonW

« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
I say tough love. No boards. >:D