Author Topic: Oak (Quercus robur) selfbow  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Oak (Quercus robur) selfbow
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:46 am »
Nice bow, Tuomo but I do agree about cutting the nock cross the back can be dangerous.  Is your oak in the white oak family? The grain looks like it is. Does it have rounded lobes on the leaves instead of points?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 02:09:06 pm »
PatB, It is the european counterpart of white oak

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 03:44:54 pm »
Great bow -- it reminds me a lot of the Holmgard -- a little longer and narrower, and others of those early types like the Ringkloster. It fits wonderfully for a northern European primitive self-bow made from a local hardwood.

I've seen back reduced or notched nocks on drawings of Finnish bows, but can see how they can't be as split resistant. A binding just below could reduce the chance of splitting out a piece of the belly.

Some of those nocks seem to have been used on the two-wood bows, and the standing part would then have been made of compression wood, which might or might not have have been tougher as a peg. Dunno.

Anyway, I love that it is so simple and so related to ancient types, and made of local wood. Cool Bow!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 04:24:01 pm »
Yep I like it....[thumbs up].....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 06:42:44 pm »
Love the heartwood sap wood contrast

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 12:50:52 am »
Thanks!

I make mainly bamboo backed laminates so it was fun to make a simple selfbow. Will make a few more oak bow!

There is no splits on the back. Those are just some kind of dark stripes of the cambium.

Simson and others - I have used a lot of that kind of "cut back" -nocks. In this image, the dark bow is massaranduba selfbow, about 40 pounds. Tip width is 5 mm (about 1/5"), which I reinforced with silk thread. The tip is so narrow that it is impossible to make side nocks. in this oak bow, the tip width is 11 mm. And, oak is very hard to split, so it needs no thread or other strengthening. I have had more problems with horn overlays on bamboo backed bows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 06:53:48 am »
Very nice work Tuomo.Ought to be sweet to shoot for sure.Like your pictures too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed