Author Topic: Fly fishing  (Read 8601 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Fly fishing
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:43 pm »
I don't know JW, I've always heard trout prefer to be caught by someone with a proper hat ;)

'Sides, I am such a flipping lowlife, I would just eat 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 12:12:59 am »
     Yeah, they use those long out rigger rods in Ireland, and it is also called dapping, and the flys are like the size of a gnat!  I am with you J.W.  I just have a couple of Courtland reels, and one or two .....frrssszzztttcckkt...(Brain Fart)  Seems someone reached into my book of memory, and tore a page out.  Guess I shouldn't leave it in the out house..... It is a Japanese fly reel, but can't remember it.  Bought it a couple of years, ago, and haven't use it yet.  Still using the Cortland, and their rod, and sometimes the shakespear rod.  I would like a nice G. Loomis, or my God, a Morgan, just to put poppers on and smirk at the multi thousand dollar outfitted fly fishing snobs. OH, yeah, by the way, pan fish flys, and poppers catch trout also! Some friends of mine were camping on the Clark Fork river, in St. Regis, Mt. and one had a few beers, when a float boat with a guide, and a man with his wife were in the boat, and she was not fishing, but he was, and he was all decked out with fanciest of everything kit, and he saw my Buddy, and asked if he was doing any good, he replied not too bad, and held up a stringer of nice and big browns, and the guy says, wow, what fly are you using?  My Buddy, says, a number 7 red wriggler.  the guy says, what is that?  My Buddy, held up a Styrofoam container of worms, and pulled one out, and said this.  The guy, says, oh.... YOU"RE ONE OF THOSE GUYS!..... My buddy, held up the stringer, and says, how many have caught today?  The guys wife starts giggling, and the guy, just glares at her, and they go on down the river, with the guy trying to finesse his casts..... Ah....wait, the brain cell is starting to glow a bit.... the reel is an O.....something....  Well I am not going to go down to the shop tonight, just to dig it out of my vest....uh....Okuma...something like that.  anyway, whatever it is I have one.  That is as fancy as I have, and and I still have a ball, and catch fish.  Like I said, I have a five dollar Kmart reel, and low on sale, rod, wally world, or Kmart, and Courtland line, that I used to catch Sea Trout, in the grass beds, in the Intra Coastal waterway, in Florida, and just might try it salmon fishing.  I simply could not see paying $250 -350 or more for a salt water reel, and then that much and more for the rod, some coming to over a thousand dollars, when I can catch just as many sea trout as they can on my cheap rod.  There is no super duper hyper machining that is any different than that used to produce my aluminum reel, versus their brass reel.  Any way, you don't need the outfit used by Mr. and Mrs. Got Rocks, to be successful, and have fun fishing.
Some of the stuff, can make a difference in the ease of casting, and presentation, and such, but I have never been able to afford those things, so I would not know how much of difference it would be for me, I just know that what I am using, is far superior to what was used in the nineteenth century, and they caught a car load of fish, and had a ball.  For you northerners, and youngsters, that is a Southern term, referring to a train car, or box car.  So I am happy as can be with my outfit. Just clarifying that.  As for plain ol most fun fishing, no matter how fancy, and scientifically made fishing outfit, you still cannot beat a simple cane pole, and a can of worms, for shear simple fishing pleasure, and means of getting a stringer of blue gills, stump knockers, sun fish, and other pan fish.  Now add a Sub Way, Italian,whole wheat sub, with extra pickles, Jalapenos, and black olives, tomatoes, onions,and American, and Swiss cheese,salt pepper, oil and vinegar, and an ice cold PBR, aww man, it just doesn't get any better.  Crap now I am hungry again, and I already had supper, and my PBR for the night!  Just get a rig, and go fishing, you will get your finese along the way!

Wayne
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:23:37 pm by stickbender »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:31 pm »
Are you thinking of Okuma? That is what I use. Works great for what I do and for the price.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 11:25:28 pm »

Yep, that is it.  Halfway through my post, my lone brain cell lit up, and I remembered it.  Thanks.

Wayne           
Are you thinking of Okuma? That is what I use. Works great for what I do and for the price.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:10 am »
Went ahead and went with the Redington PATH combo and amazon has a box of 100 flies for 30 bucks that's the best seller in fly fishing. Luckily I saved my amazon gift cards from Christmas! Thanks for all the help guys!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 07:35:38 pm »
That combo will do you just fine, The Orvis Encounter is right in the same ball park.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 11:02:45 pm »
4 reasons led me to the PATH over the Encounter. The reel is metal, the line is better quality, the case is for rod AND reel, and it has a lifetime "unconditional" warranty on everything in the kit. Where the encounter has a plastic reel, cheap line, case for the rod but only a fabric pouch for the reel, and the warranty is only for factory defects with the rod. Both good rods from everyone I've talked too, just the kits are totally different
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:13 pm »

I was just in my shop, changing out a chainsaw, chain, and went into the bedroom, there, and I saw my fly rod, and remembered that I also have a couple of Martin reels.  Been pleased with them also.

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 11:23:33 pm »
 I learned to fly fish beside my graddady 7,8 I guess.

My advice is this WALLMART 6 weight,8 foot 4# leaders floating line. Pack of cheap brightly colored pack of flies.  You can up grade as you improve.

Start out by finding a big lawn and practice casting a few times untill your getting the hang of it.

Go find you a farm pond with open banks keep your casts short to 12,15 feet and learn as you catch perch. You learn better when you haveing fun. You'll learn to cast better (longer) as you catch perch. I started both my boys like this as well as some of the boys the hung out with.

You learn better if your haveing fun.

They both love fly fishing.

Read (learn) all you can about rod weights, Flies learn what kind of flies to fish for what fish and when (best time of day), or time of year and how to float the fly in different waters. Learn to tie knots you'll need. Sounds like a lot to learn. It's not really just start with farm ponds and perch. Enjoy and move forward when you fell like it's time.

I'm a hunter and the idea go's hand in hand with fly fishing. You have to hunt your fish ,you must know this habits as he grows. What he eats (what flie hatchs are comeing off (hatching) the water. And what time they uselly come off. How to get close to him.

You need to know all you can about you target fish. Just like gobbler or buck hunting. I you have any other questions PM me.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:27 am »
So in primitive fly fishing, would a selfrod be a cane pole?

I have a friend who recently started to make short (5-6 ft) and light (aftma 3-4) fly rods from Phyllostachys bamboo stalks that he harvests in people's gardens (after asking for permission). Not glued together or so, just a naturally tapered stalk, lightly heat treated. Really nifty primitive and each one is unique. He locates the eyes/guides at the knots, customizes a handle and off he goes. Good for trout fishing here (nothing really big around here, 40 cm is a big one), as long as you don't need to cast very far.