Author Topic: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!  (Read 20755 times)

Offline sleek

Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:07:03 am »
Why? Heck of it. And too dumb to know better. I was out of breath after just making the frame and stretching the hide on it. But boy o mighty thats a lot of pulling to stretch the hide on a frame. I got about 2/3 done fleshing it last night before i had to quit. I laid the frame down on the ground flesh side down to slow moisture loss.  This morning i am rehydrating the skin, going to finish fleshing and the trim the edges off to restretch it. It completely fills a 10x10 frame and will get larger as i stretch it. Thats too big for me.  I will be saving tje scraps, perhaps buffalo hide bow string is in my future? Hide glue certainly is. Im also saving the fat for tallow. My doggies belly is full of meat scrapings and she is walking around like she is in heaven.

My wife is begging me not to use brains. Said if i use egg yokes she will make marangue cookies.... How can i refuse that temptation? How many eggs? I have no clue but i bet its a lot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:59:55 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Chief RID

Re: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:00:32 pm »
Congrats and condolences for taking on the task. That's a lot of eggs. Can you say you used eggs and use the brains. If you can keep harmony at home you will feel better about the hide in the future knowing you did not waste that part of the animal. Again, a heartfelt thanks for sharing and giving it a go.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »
Harmony with my wife is important. Its too late to use the brains now and a bison doeant have enough brains anyway. Id have to cut it with something. I will play it safe and do exactly what i told my wife i would do.

So im still fleshing. Wow this animal has a very tough membrane. Im wearing myself out trying to get it off.  I still have to thin the hide afterwards. Then i need to find out if you sew the holes before or after applying the tan solution?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 12:55:29 pm »
Good deal. :)  That will be something to remember.
Wishing you well with your undertaking.
Snap a pic or two.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:02:42 pm »
Im taking breaks to take a few pics/rest my fingers. Its tiresome to b sure but the work feels good for the body.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:37:55 pm »
That is one heck of a task you are taking on.  I have scraped a elk hide and that was tough I can only imagine the work taking on a buffalo hide.  I usually sew the holes after the braining process I found out that is makes the hide softer and makes it easier for the needle to penetrate the hide.  But a buffalo hide is pretty thick.  Good luck with your hide.
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:02:28 pm »
That is one heck of a task you are taking on.  I have scraped a elk hide and that was tough I can only imagine the work taking on a buffalo hide.  I usually sew the holes after the braining process I found out that is makes the hide softer and makes it easier for the needle to penetrate the hide.  But a buffalo hide is pretty thick.  Good luck with your hide.

Did you sew with sinew?

Offline Redhand

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:10 pm »
Sleek I use white beading thread.
Northern Ute

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:33 pm »
I don't know anything about tanning with eggs, I've only used brains, but I'm guessing you are tanning it with the hair on. There is a difference between cow hides and bull hides, the cows being somewhat easier to tan. Once you have the meat and membrane removed, you will need to thin the  hip area quite a bit. If you have been tanning deer and elk, this will not tan the same way. Wes Housler made a video that really walks you through the process. I would highly recommend it. Larry Belitz also put out a buffalo tanning video. If you purchase one from Belitz, it is best used as a gag gift for someone you want to prank.   Curtis
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:54:07 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »
I dont know the sex of the animal. Im used to deer, i really thought it was a similar process. Im working on thinning the hide right now.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 04:57:31 pm »
Remember, there will be an epidermis under the hair that keeps the brains / eggs from penetrating the hide from both sides. The thinner you can get the hips, the better.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 07:58:04 pm »
I got most of it thinned down now so you can see the hair thrpugh the skin. I got about an hours work left I think but didnt finish before I had an interesting visitor show up.

Now to understand this you have to know I live in a trailer park. Even in Oklahoma we have folks that are.... not so keen.   So I have my hide stretched out leaning against my house and im thinning it when the game warden shows up. Im not sure what whoever called him expected to accomplish but everything is on the level on my side of things so this was actually a pleasant visit. I was concerned he may take my hide or something but Mr. Game Warden turned out to be a primitive archer enthusiast as well! We talked about an hour after i explained to him how I came about the hide and gave my id to show I was indeed me.

He has been making his own bows for a bit and I showed him some I had on hand. I also told him about this website after he expressed some interest in learning about tanning and flint knapping. Anyways.... so that was an interesting visit and its good to know that one of my wardens is into it like we are. I nust hope I can be left alone to my fun now and not have anyone try and cause me any more problems. Still not sure what they had hoped would happen?

Offline Redhand

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:43:07 pm »
Maybe your neighbors thought you was one of those chainsaw massacre dudes. Lol
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
Next skin i do.... Im gonna cut it into the shape of a human.