Author Topic: Form and function  (Read 1869 times)

JacksonCash

Form and function
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:25:45 am »
We've got a couple of magnolias in the front yard, which were intended to act as a screen for the big window in the living room. Unfortunately, the previous owners hadn't really taken care of them, and they got scale real bad. I may still be able to save one, but the other got uprooted a bit in the snowstorms we had recently.

I'm looking at replacing it, and right now I'm looking at a serviceberry, but I'm soliciting opinions for other options which would both be ornamental, and provide some use through either fruit or use as arrow/bow/turning material later in life.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Form and function
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:42:48 am »
Red osier dogwood maybe

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:51:03 am »
I've thought about red osier, but I don't know that my soils moist enough for it. I've also looked at grey dogwood, but I like pie, so serviceberry got a leg up on it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:39:23 am »
Are these magnolias in the middle of the yard, in full sun?  Do you want a shrub or a tree?
 Serviceberry comes in two forms, tree form and shrub form. Viburnum could be used also and they have eatable fruit and shoots for arrows and come in all sizes. Some of the hollies may work for you also. Crepe Myrtle might be an option. It has nice summer flowers, shoots for arrows(check out Eric's post) and the trunks can make good bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:55 pm »
The magnolias got full sun in the morning, partial in the afternoon. I'm looking for more of a shrub, most likely. Also, I'm in the 5-6 hardiness zone area, if that helps anyone. Lots of great suggestions Pat, thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »
Crepe Myrtle might be iffy in a 5-6 hardiness zone but the others should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC