Author Topic: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!  (Read 20757 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:02 am »
I made the sheath out of the boot leather. Hadnt thought of the rubber sole for a handle...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:50 pm »
I made the sheath out of the boot leather. Hadnt thought of the rubber sole for a handle...

Now that is a boot knife!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »
Was certainly looking forward to seeing you at MoJam. Now am REALLY REALLY looking forward to seeing you and what will be, by then, a beautiful robe!
'Course it'll be a bit warm at MoJam, won't it??!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 07:33:11 pm »
Ohhhh but for sure i will be bringing it...

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:32 pm »
So i have done some work today on it. Id like to yack about it for a moment.

Now, I have only tanned one skin before and thats a deer. I have another deer in progress but that doesnt count as I'm still membraning it. Experienced folks know what am am talking about but for the new guys here you go.

This hide has grain. Very easy to see as I dry scrape it. It wants to come off in layers in some spots. These layers cris cross in grain. I notice this mlstly where hips and shoulders were. It is very difficult to scrape these areas. Mind you i am using the curved boot knife you see in previous pictures. It works great for the task. I wish I had made it bigger for more of a hand hold on it.  My fingers cramp after a bit. These tough sections scrape off in very stringy sections and peel off like sunburnt skin, once you can get a good hold on them.  The skin turns from a dark black to a white as I scrape.

The spine has not dried out yet and cant be scraped. There are spots that seem very greasy that bavent hardened up like the rest of the hide. When I scrape over these spots the hide flexes in and wont scrape. They feel very greasy, more so than the rest of the hide. Im concerned they may be greasy hard spots when I finish if I dont figure this out now.

As a side. Note, I scraped some with an obsidian flake. It worked just like my knife, only smaller. So I put it down. This is a very fun project. Its a lot involved but just like anything, I'm just working on the task at hand. Even the largest projects are just made up of individual small details. So I am working one detail at a time. Nice thing is, you see the results instantly as you work. Every thing you do changes the hide. Soon, it will be leather.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:51 pm »
Sleek, are you membraneing(fleshing ) or graining? :o Grain is under the hair. :D   Bob

Offline sleek

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 08:57:07 pm »
I am leaving the hair on. I have pics to show the grain i am talking about.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:55 pm »
Some more pictures!

Man photo bucket is a huge pain lately!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »
Pat, thank you for helping with my pics.

Ok. So, first pic shows my trying out an obsidian flake. If it was hafted iI may have used it more.

Second pic shows the grain running two directions only inches from each other. Also how it will peel if you grab it right.

Third pic, The tough spots are easy to see here. They texture is different. Easy to scrape skin is above and is how most the hide is. Only the hips and shoulder areas have the tough grain.

Fourth shows the stresses of a shrinking hide.

Fifth is the hide after some scraping.

Sixth shows two layers of hide grain in the hip area running 90 degree to each other. Its very stringy.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:46 pm »
You're welcome buddy!  Like I said, bring it to my place and we can smoke it here. Kinda wish I was there to help you with this project.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:22 pm »
When I get to softening it, I may be sharing your sentiments!

Offline Josh B

Re: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 03:04:23 am »
Im going with 6 dozen egg yokes. I reckon 3x3 is what a deer skin measures to. It takes 12 eggs. My bison is 10x10 3 times bigger and twice as thick. So that makes 6 times as many eggs. I hope this works. I see lots of egg white omelets, meringue cookies, and angle food cakes in my future.

You might want to recalculate that.  3x3 is 9 sq ft.  10x10 is 100 sq ft.  You gonna need a whole lotta eggs.  Looks like it's coming right along nicely.  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:13 am »
Looking good, I always take the membrane /flesh off while it is wet or green is even better, on a fleshing pole with a draw knife, never rack it for that, kind of like chasing a ring in wood. Much easier than when it dries at least it is for me. I can do a good size deer hide in 10 or 15 minutes. I tried doing it dry years ago and man that is a job. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 07:57:18 am »
Yep the day you framed that buff was the day to flesh it.While wet,but you'll get it eventually though.I never thinned mine much but still came out good but they were wintered and furred up yearling cows too so that helped.Perfect for sleeping and robes.I found out framing buffalos that it takes at least 2"X6"'s too.I made scrapers out of a mill bastard file on elk antler handles.Stays sharp a very long time.You might have wanted to do a few more deer hides before taking on a task like a buffalo.Everything I've read from this post is mostly true and your in for more work.Personally I would get myself about 5# of pig brains from Hy Vee for the job.Not a user of eggs.Many ways to get the brains into the fibers with mother natures help.Roping it dry will be challenging too.Not trying to be a bearer of bad news here really.You'll get it done to the degree that you like yet.Just keep yourself fed up and strong.Who needs isometric classes huh.....ha ha.
Buffalo robes were a staple of the plains Indians and while hunting they could read them like cattlemen read cattle for the slaughter house.Cows were for robes,tipis,moccasins etc. and your bulls were for sheilds etc.It takes an average of around 13 to 14 of those cows for a tipi,so you can learn to appreciate the work the squaws did.Good that you posted this.I did my robes back in the 80's so computers were'nt around then.I had all kinds of curious lookers too and even the game warden too.My lift pole on my tipi has a willow framed horse tail on the tip that freaked out a lady once thinking it was really a scalp from a person.....ha ha.This ought to be in the primitive skills section really.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

Re: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 09:26:00 am »
Im going with 6 dozen egg yokes. I reckon 3x3 is what a deer skin measures to. It takes 12 eggs. My bison is 10x10 3 times bigger and twice as thick. So that makes 6 times as many eggs. I hope this works. I see lots of egg white omelets, meringue cookies, and angle food cakes in my future.

You might want to recalculate that.  3x3 is 9 sq ft.  10x10 is 100 sq ft.  You gonna need a whole lotta eggs.  Looks like it's coming right along nicely.  Josh

Good catch. Why did i do the math that goofy way? Im kinda embarrassed now.