Author Topic: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!  (Read 20696 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Im brain tanning a buffalo hide. pics up!
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2016, 04:59:09 pm »
Sometimes too the rawhide itself will have a little fat or grease infiltrated into it.That can make it not as hard like good dried rawhide to scrape.More rubbery I mean.That happens when the hide is not fleshed all at once at one time to remove everything.That's happened to me before too.It might be your scraper is too dull too.In the end your eggs should penetrate the fibers yet I think since I've only used brains.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2016, 05:28:53 am »
How about an update Sleek, very curious on how it turned out.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2016, 08:29:51 am »
Well i got it all thinned out and cut off the frame. I saw places along the edge I didnt get well enough so I am going to hit it with a sander to grind down the this edges to an even thickness.

I had to stop at that point and have it rolled up in a corner waiting on me to have time to wash it and then brain it. This house i bought is taking all of my time right now.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stickbender

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 03:00:59 am »
     Well if you have time to go on a survival show, you have time to finish the hide!  Dog gone it, we want pictures!  Still think you should have cut it in the shape of a Sasquatch...... Just think of the phone calls to the peta nuts....... I think someone in my neighborhood killed a young Sasquatch, and he said he actually is going to tan the hide, the poor thing, probably suffered terribly, as this guy actually HUNTS, and he makes his own bow and arrows, please help us, I don't let the kids, outside any more, and when we have to go outside, we rush to the car, and drive away really fast.  It is even worse coming home, if we drive by, and his lights are out, we don't know if he is outside or not, wrapped up in that poor creatures, skin!

Soooo, the pictures, please......

P.S.  On a more somber side...... How is your neighbor doing now, after the loss of his child?  Was just thinking about that the other day.
                                    Wayne

Offline DuBois

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2016, 02:22:52 pm »
AH HA! finally found it!
You're a good man Kevin. That's more work than I would want to try any time soon...especially with a new house! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:59:52 pm by DuBois »