Author Topic: duck hunting  (Read 6069 times)

kdub

duck hunting
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:27:17 am »
does anyone here hunt ducks with a bow?  I love duck hunting but  I use a 12 guage,  Ive thought about using a bow, but I bet its really hard and prob real easy to lose arrows.

Offline TRACY

Re: duck hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:41 am »
Yeah, you need a lot of arrows that are expendable. I have not harvested yet but continue to try with doves and ducks on the wing. I've found that a judo style head mounted on a flu flu is good for doves. I've experimented with the snaro heads and they are just too heavy for good flight. For ducks I'm using my old 2 blade heads that will take an edge but have broken tips etc and the Ace hex blunts for smaller ducks like teal and woodducks. Good luck!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »
I love hunting waterfowl with a bow... have taken nine species of duck and two of geese with my bows over the years... the trick is lots of practice ... I use a  round foam target wrapped with duct tape..then find someone to throw it into the air for you.. won't be long you will be hitting it .. I like to call the ducks into decoys ... then shoot at then just before they land.. for geese i like to let them land then shoot at them as they take off.. lots of fun .. but you will need lots of arrows.. I use willow shoot arrows with duck and goose feathers tied with sinew... and trade point broadheads I make from bandsaw blades.. the reason i use broadheads is... when you finally hit one on the wing you want it to stay down.. good luch Hawk a/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:18 pm »
ive been after crow and starlings for a while now. but for them a heavy bow aint needed and i could see where my arrow landed and go retrieve it. as tracy said broadheads and hawk said decoys. good luck i think ill try it too. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:32 pm »
Don't forget that while shotgunners think it unsporting to shoot them off the water, there is nothing wrong with doing it with your bow.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:05 pm »
true. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:44:06 pm »
 Skipper arras will take em everytime ifn ya make a good shot. No steel er stone broadheads needed. Dont need lots of arras a few they float ifn made right.......bob

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:48:45 pm »
yeah, deffinently need lotsa arrows. and my carbon arrows flote. try that. and tracy f. have you ever acutually killed a woodduck with a bow? it takes a freaking moutian man to do that :o. i aint even managed to kill one with an air rifle yet :P. anyhow, good luck dude, and let us know how it goes.
lets just shoot it

kdub

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:40 am »
Heck I dont even blame the guys who skillet shoot ducks with a shot gun, they are hard to his especially teal.  I need to check the regs to make sure bow hunting ducks is legal on public lan and Ill try it this fall. sounds like fun, i bet ill get some looks at the access point walking in with a recurve. ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:15 am »
lol, so true. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:14:23 am »
No recurve s. I haven't. Tried many a shots and seem to hit the air all around them. I don't shoot anything but a broadhead at them because of their vigilance to survive when injured. Learned that from years of shooting steel shot. As for legality, as long as you stay within the Feds regs of non-toxic shot and legal shooting hours and bag limits etc. you should satisfy most conditions. Please check your state and federal regulations before you head out to be on the safe side.

If you use a dog to retrieve, you might want to practice some retrieving at home first to make sure your dog doesn't get jabbed with any points. My labs are a little confused when asked to retrieve an arrow and not feathers :o. Good luck!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956