Author Topic: selfbow elk?  (Read 13086 times)

Slivershooter

Re: selfbow elk?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 08:33:01 pm »
Yep,
60" Osage 58#@29"

Offline david w.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »
ok stupid question i always hear people talk about "medicine".
what is it?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline sonny

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 08:53:14 pm »
Good "medicine" can be added to a bow for instance by applying sinew, rawhide, antler overlays, etc. that was given to you by a buddy who harvested the animal it came from. I have some deer sinew ( a buddy gave me from deer killed this past fall) that I'll use on a future bow that'll have Good Medicine.   

Jay Massey created his Medicine Bow from a hickory sapling cut on his older brother's land, in hopes that the bow would contain some of his brother's powerful spirit....certainly Good Medicine.

I think non-Native Americans likely think about Good Medicine (or mojo) differently than Native Americans. Hopefully Bob will see this and add his opinion as to what constitutes  Good Medicine.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »
I think of good medicine as luck. Or something special. Something that really matters most. "Medicine" is a big part of hunting and trapping for me, medicine is also my respect for the animals i hunt and kill.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 01:00:25 am »
My particular Medicine Bow is a copy of Jay Massey's. Every component of the bow came from someone else and all I did was built it. Probably 8 or 10 folks contributed.  It is a 60" sinew backed hickory bow with rawhide cover on the back. This bow won BOM a few years back. I don't have pics handy but you can probably look it up.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
Ah thank you. Medicine takes apart in my hunting too i just didnt know that was the term
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 07:39:53 pm »
it isnt really the term so much as the feeling you get. i feel close to the native americans of my heritage so i always use "medicine" ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 07:24:26 am »
Years ago I lived on a big cattle ranch just outside of Yellowstone.  I had a recurve I made.  It pulled 65#s at 28".  I used mostly jasper and obsedian points.  There was no Wyoming law about stone points and most of my points were around 2" by 3/4". with any arrow I could find.  I managed to surround both elk and mule deer and one moose with that old bow.  It was a real dog by today's standard, but did the job.  The secret for me was to have the points really sharp and get really close!!  I sure wish I had a good selfbow back then!!  Wolf Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 01:08:44 pm »
that sounds cool wolf watcher. see wheel bow people think you need all the high tech "crap" to kill an animal humanely.
Modern Day Tramp

330bull

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 07:26:18 am »
Well not to rub it in but...I plan on taking a bow elk hunting this fall that John Strunk gave, yes I said GAVE to me.  I've become good friends with John lately and for some reason he just handed me this bow and told me "here's one for your collection."  I practically cried.  :'(

It's a Vine Maple Flatbow, ~58" ntn, and about 65-70# @ 26".  It has +1" of natural reflex and is by far the most efficient bow I have ever shot.  It shoots a 660 grain hickory arrow about 150 fps; plenty good for an elk even out to 30 yards.

So...although I have never attempted to use a selfbow on elk, I will certainly try this fall.

Best of luck to everyone!

Joe

Ps.  John made that bow with a hatchet & pocket knife and stained it with charcoal.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 12:29:34 pm »
330bull can you post some picks of your free bow. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

330bull

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:38 am »
Here you go.  Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:31 pm »
lol, i havent ever taken anything other than deer and small game. i recomend being REALY close and REALY good shot placement.
lets just shoot it