Author Topic: Id these shafts?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Id these shafts?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »
Mr. Mullet, when its stave size, the cascara we have here gets a white and gray patchy look kinda like an alder. the young ones are more like what he has.
Puck: Does this look like them, these are from a hazel nut bush. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:39:09 pm »
Those shafts sure look like chokecherry, which makes a really good arrow.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 10:43:28 pm »
Could they be high bush blueberries?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:49 pm »
Elm saplings? I'm looking at the bark pattern on the more textured ones. Were they growing from the site of an old stump? That could explain the tight cluster.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 08:23:55 am »
they look like sticks to me as I can not tell one from the other. straighten then and shoot them if they will spine out correctly, what you got to loose? if they will not spine correctly you got some mighty fine kindling.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 10:39:39 am »
Sticks this size look like hundreds of other sticks like this. Without other identifying options it is only a guess as to what they are. You'll never know if they are worthy shafting unless you know for sure what they are...or you try them to see. Even if you try them you should still try to find out their true identity. Take pics of the plant as it sits and pics of the buds and twigs. Then, and only then will you know what they are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 11:21:36 am »
I agree with Pat, at that size and age it could be a number of things. Wait until spring/summer and maybe some leaves or buds will help. At that stage  it resembles many young shoots.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:19 pm »
Winter twigs and buds and overall view of the shrub can be helpful with identifying plants and if you take pics now you may have good shafting drying already. Spring and summer can make easier ID but that's not always the case. You can positively ID this plant with winter buds alone.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:42 am »
I'll go back with my camera next time. I've got to cut some red osier anyhow

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:04 am »
  DIFFENTLY HAZZEL I have them around me and I made couple dozzen arrows through the years.

Hazel makes a ex lent arrows fairly heavy easy to bend. Almost a shoot as it is grows kinda shoot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING