Author Topic: Northern Plains Gullwing build-along using stone/antler tools  (Read 6707 times)

Offline Airborne890

Re: Northern Plains Gullwing build-along using stone/antler tools
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 11:06:05 am »
2nd stave in form
Ethnographic images of this method being employed by a Lakota man (I believe circa 1870's). A Lakota bowyer told me that this method was used in the Winter, while the stave was held in place in the ground using stakes during the warm, summer months.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 12:24:51 pm »
I like those old pics.
Northern Ute

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 04:15:57 pm »
I'm watching with interest, Air!
Thanks for the pics with the natives.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 05:53:32 pm »
 I was looking at the second photo and noticed all the shavings in the field where he stood and reduced the stave just before he staked it down...Very cool 8) I'll keep checking in on this...
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 06:13:33 pm »
Thank you for posting the Native pics. I've used the method in the 1st pic a lot like the way you are doing yours. But that 2nd pic is fantastic in it's simplicity. Love it.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:46 am »
following along with interest. Using traditional methods must certainly give a different perspective to the craft. You must have uncovered a few new sources in your research, and I appreciate the time you have taken to post your found photos. BTW some things in the photos look a little newer than 1870, at least to my eye.
 If you should discover any info about shooting styles and practices with these type bows, I am sure that many would like to see what you find

Offline Airborne890

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:35 am »
Thanks Willie. It is almost like stepping into a time machine. It also just gives one this profound sense of appreciation for generations-past. When most people hear the word "primitive" they automatically think "inferior, barbaric, passe, etc" when in reality it's mind-boggling what "primitive" cultures did with the limited resources available.

I am learning so many new things about the craft, and can not wait to share more.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 09:06:32 am »
Great post!  Looks like a great project and I really like that second photo.  Looking forward to seeing it all together.
1’—>1’

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »
Very cool, I will definitely be watching this on closely.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Airborne890

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
The stave dried quicker than expected with the help of the arid climate of the High-Plains. After removing the stave from the form I washed it using a mixture of wood ashes and hot water to degrease it. I let it dry in the sun for a few hours and then rasped the back using a piece of sandstone in order to remove any trace amounts of grease still left on the surface wood. Post-degreasing and roughing I cut in a double nock for the bottom limb and a single nock with a pin (to accommodate a horse-hair tuft) for the top limb. I then used a mixture of hide and sinew glue to sinew-back it. The fibers were elk back sinew acquired in a trade from Redhand (thanks, bud!) and were an absolute pleasure to shred and use. I folded the sinew over at the tip ends and wrapped the tips.

Although I have not received ethnographic evidence of northern-plains bowyers reverse-bracing their bows while sinew seasons (evidence abound for such practices on the west-coast), I see much value in this practice and will employ it here. Finally, the bow is hung up under the roof of my patio so it can take advantage of the cool, dry air. Here it will season for at least another week-and-a-half before further tillering.

Offline Airborne890

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
more pics

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:19 pm »
Looking good! I wish my wood seasoned that fast here, from stump to sinew back and shooting in less than 2 months?

Offline Airborne890

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:58 pm »
It remains to be seen, but I was amazed at how quickly the stave dried. What's more, the form prevented it from twisting, even a centimeter, and the grease seemed to help prevent checking by retarding moisture loss.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 04:31:48 pm »
great thread, I'm enjoying this one! 

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan