Author Topic: turkey hunting bows  (Read 3521 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

turkey hunting bows
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »
I am planning to turkey hunt with my bow quite a bit this season,,
I have a hunt planned for mid april and have been shooting my 55 inch nock to nock 50#@25  osage bow,, the arrows that shoot best are sitka spruce about 500 grains,, I have no doubts about the set up if I just do my part,, I have been practicing every day on my close shots, and would even try for a head shot if that was my best option,, what are you guys going to hunt with,, ???  I have some decoys this year,, and plan to use a blind some as well,, I like to hunt with just camo on,, but think the blind will help with my decoy set up for afternoon hunts,,any thoughts????

Offline make-n-break

Re: turkey hunting bows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:52:29 pm »
Might do a little with this 53" Osage bendy handle 68@28.  I've been fussing with getting matched arrows that fly good. It's a powerhouse... But a backup powerhouse.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
something 70 to 75# spine should work, even 65# might work if you cut it 28 to back of broad head,, sometimes I had good luck with my heavier bows shooting birch or ash or maple,, ,, the heavier shaft calmed them down a bit,, especially on a shorter bow,,

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »
Made this one just for turkey hunting this spring. It came in 10 pounds under weight but after practicing with it non stop and matching arrows, I'm confident it's a worthy weapon. Just took me some time to build confidence in it.

Hickory board
66" long
45@28
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:59:37 pm »
I think the lighter bow  will give you the advantage to hold longer if you need too,, for example,, if you need to draw when the turkey can't see you,, and need to hold till you get the shot,, the 45# will allow you to do that a little easier,, :)

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:01:24 pm »
I'll give that a try Brad! I'll make a batch in the 70-75# range, heavier hardwood. I know some weight would do it good.

I agree. I'd definitely be sacrificing accuracy with 68# if I had to hold it for very long.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:09:01 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot the blind question. My setup the last couple years has treated me really good. I sit next to a large shrub, tree, or other form of cover.. Camo..  No blind.. One hen decoy and one jake decoy about 15 yards from me. I listen to the turkeys and match my call intensity to their interest. Last year two gobblers almost walked right across my legs! I coulda reached out and touched them. Had to sit till they were right next to the decoys to get the shot. What a rush.

Guess that's where a blind would be nice.. You've got concealment to draw. I just don't like messing with them lol.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:15:11 pm by make-n-break »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »
I have a hen and a Jake this year,, I added a strutting decoy,, I have never tried that, but it won't take long to see if it works or not,, the birds in texas are not as hard hunted as in some areas of the country,, not as call shy,,  I have not hunted  much with a decoy set up,, so I look forward to trying that some,,, and hope it gives me a chance to shoot close,,, the older I get,, the closer I like to shoot :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:54:14 pm »

I use the same bow for BUCKS AND GOBBLERS. 

Get a ghillie and learn to set up with your back to the on coming gobbler.

Forget about setting up where you'll get that good footage like your shot gun hunting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »
is it hard to learn to shoot with a ghillie suite,, seems like alot of leaves to get hung on the string and such,, I would like to try one,

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 08:14:32 pm »
You gotta trim your burlap/fabric/foliage on the bow arm and shoulder so your string doesn't get caught up on release. You also have to trim around your face or your string will get caught up there too when you anchor. They're nice for getting really close but a pain when paired with traditional equipment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:36:05 am by make-n-break »

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:12 am »
Brad, is your season open yet? Ours opened the 25th.

I set up the decoys every morning and evening this weekend but abandoned them an hour in each time for stalking. There are too many female turkeys in my spot and the toms have a lot to choose from.  They're not wanting to leave their 10 hens for my one hen and jake lol.

Stalking and calling is working great for me! I try to get inside 50 yards in thick cover, closer if I can, and call from there.

Got inside 20 yds the first day but a pine tree blocked my shot for too long and they wandered off. Second day I was calling a group down in a valley and unknown to me a group was coming up behind me! Two gobblers and 6 hens walked 10 feet from me but I couldn't get turned around without spooking them. It was a rush! Third day got inside 30 yards of a tom with his beard dragging on the ground, but low hanging branches blocked the shot. He was surrounded by hens and they pecked their way up to 5 yards away and spotted me.

No ethical shots yet! Can't wait for next weekend. Wishing you the best on your hunt!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:40:03 am by make-n-break »