Author Topic: chasing a ring on mullberry?  (Read 1576 times)

nsherve

chasing a ring on mullberry?
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:09:21 am »
Is there another way to chase rings (other than shaving them off)? I was thinking of using a small chisel to lift the outer rings. I wouldn't be doing that all the way to the one I'll be going for, just to get it closer at a less time consuming rate (if that makes sense). On the staves I have sitting in my barn, there is about an inch I'll be getting off to get to the ring I want to use. Since the log was so easy to split, I'm thinking the outer rings might would just peel right off... I'm still at work, so it'll be a couple months before I get to it.  Thanks,

Nate

Offline bubby

Re: chasing a ring on mullberry?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:03:57 am »
Drawknife is the answer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Limbit

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:07:30 am »
Angle grinder with a nasty gritted disk. They sell all kinds of disks for those and some of them are specifically for ripping stuff up. Be careful not to go too deep and switch up to finer grit disks as you get closer to your mark. I guess a draw knife is a lot better in some ways, but an angle grinder really goes far fast if you know how to man one correctly and not let it get ahead of you. I'm thinking it is not a normal choice for people trying to be more pure in their bow making and these types of power tools are understandably looked down on among the paleo community.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:14:41 am »
Draw knife and scrapper, it ant supposed to be a race. ;) :) Enjoy the ride. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:02:17 am »
take your time. while you are "enjoying" using a metal knife to chase them rings, just think, it could be sooooo much more fun using a rock.lol