Author Topic: Heat treating cracks  (Read 5850 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Heat treating cracks
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:17 pm »
I've been heat treating most of my bows lately and I keep getting cracks in them.  They don't really hurt anything from what I've seen so far.  I soak them in superglue and keep on building the bow like they aren't there.  I thought maybe I was overdoing it with the heat so I just lightly toasted a bow this evening and it still cracked.  When I take the bows off my form I usually find a few cracks that opened up on the back.  I know moisture will cause it sometimes.  The bow I did yesterday was from a stave that was cut sometime in the early 90's.  It's been in my shop for the last year and a half.  I roughed the bow out and left it alone for a week or two in 50% humidity.  I didn't think it would have that much excess moisture left in it.  Is there something I could be doing different to avoid these cracks? 

The lightly toasted bow

The old stave that I put a darker temper on.

The same bow on the back.  This crack was barely visible before the tempering.  It opened up quite a bit.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

Re: Heat treating cracks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »
I used to use oil. When I quit I started getting cracks. Went back to oil and no cracks. No science just experience.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
Thanks Jon.  I'll try oil on the next one.  I used it on my first couple bows but haven't since.  Do you just oil the belly or do you put it on the back also?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:18 am »
Moisture is my bet. 50% is still a bit high, unless you had constant air moving past it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:25:01 am »

Even seasoned staves have mosture. You've taken out what moisture was in the stave by heating the limb to hot to quick causeing the cracks.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:08:35 am »
Moisture is always the culprit in this case and it seems that the denser the wood the more of a problem it becomes
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:23:48 am »
When I use dry heat, I always grease it up good all the way around where I'm aiming that heat gun.  If I am steaming, I put on 2 coats of shellac.  Seems to work well, haven't had one crack in a long time

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:52 am »
Doesn't matter how long wood has been seasoned it can still shift move warp and crack when the ambient conditions change (e.g when you heat it).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 08:16:56 am »
It's just one of those things, Clintster.  Can't do much about it.  Oil does seem to work however, it is hard to glue on a snakeskin over top the oil.  Or sinew...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:32 am »
That's why I quit using oil Matt.  I had an entire sinew backing peal off in one big strip.  I didn't get all the oil out of the wood. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 08:34:34 am »
I have had oil lathered sticks do that, that's why I don't use oil anymore. When moisture expands and needs to escape, its going to go right through a film of veggy oil.

Just chalk it up to being a rookie......
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

JacksonCash

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:49 am »
Cracks like that were the death of my Marshal bow from last year. Well, that or me being a bit over zealous trying to get that lower lim to work its way around. I filled them with super glue, but must have missed something, drew it back and heard a crack, one of them(the largest) had grown. Haven't drawn it since.

Does make me feel better that someone with as much experience as Clint still runs into the problems I have.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:13 am »
Was the back sealed, Clint? I seal newly exposed backs wit shellac and make sure they are sealed before correcting with heat.
 Filling with super glue is what I've always done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 09:56:26 am »
Moisture is always the culprit in this case and it seems that the denser the wood the more of a problem it becomes

I second this.  I live in a very dry climate, and get sall kinds of drying checks, but almost never have checks during heat treating........except on black locust and red mulberry heartwood.  I don't get a lot of osage, but the one time I tried heating some jatoba and ipe, I got some checks.

Definitely try oil.  I started using coconut oil recently and it's the bomb.  Also, in lieu of a hotbox, maybe try running over the wood with the heat gun, warming it all over the belly, but not toasting it, and letting it settle a day or two before the actual tempering?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:14 am »
Thanks guys. 

Pat, the back was sealed with a thick layer of polyurethane.

Jackson, there are a lot more experienced guys on here than me.  That's why I'm asking them for advice.