Author Topic: Heat Treating Again  (Read 1688 times)

Offline alcot

Heat Treating Again
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:13:24 pm »
The Black Locust stave that I'm working on had a propeller twist on one limb that I corrected nicely with a heat gun before tillering, while it was a 2" by 1/2" blank. My question is do I need to treat the other limb also at this time? I do plan to make further heat adjustments to both limbs when the bow is about 2/3's tillered. Can I wait until then?  Will it matter that one limb will then be "double heated"? Also right now the corrected limb is much darker (the result of the heat) than the other and I would like them to end up the same.
Hope this makes sense
Thank you

Offline Jodocus

Re: Heat Treating Again
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »
Re-heating a previously heat corrected spot will usually undo the correction, when hot, the wood bends back to ist grown shape.
Don't shoot!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:24:47 pm »
  I'd do em both at the same time.  I usually work down to about where I'd be floor tillering, do them both, fix any spots that didn't take, and then finish tiller.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:55:33 pm »
Re-heating a previously heat corrected spot will usually undo the correction, when hot, the wood bends back to ist grown shape.

That is so true. Often times you can hear "pop" sounds as the limb goes back to its old location.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 04:35:04 pm »
I think I would do it now.  That way you would be sure that you are tillering the same condition of wood in both limbs.  Definitely clamp it up if you heat it again no matter what you decide.  Are you going to actually heat treat (ie. temper/toast) it or just make more corrections?

When I correct a stave, I do it full length using a caul.  I do this for nearly every osage bow I make.

Here's the caul in action:  https://youtu.be/AsSI93ZTAHc

I use a different caul for heat treating as I don't want  the sides on it to bounce heat off and scorch the wood.  Here it is.