Author Topic: Question about lashing together a handle splice  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Question about lashing together a handle splice
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:12 am »
Someone made a takedown sleeve out of rawhide and sinew? I was thinking to make a primitive sleeve consisting of two leg bones where one slid snugly into the hollow of the other.

The bow I was referring to that half eye posted is an intentional take down horn bow. It is old enough to be considered an artifact I'm sure, although made by Mongolians not Indians. As for the written transcript where the decision was made to create it, not sure about that one.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 12:56:09 am »
Thanks for the link to fiddlers bow Pat. Gave me some inspiration but I think I'll go without the levers for my attempt.

As for the fully primitive thing.. as far as I'm concerned the Native Americans probably didn't have milled lumber, rasps, tape measures, table saws, or sandpaper, and I'm not about to work this hickory board with a flint chip! I do like to go full primitive once in a while, but even when I'm building from start to finish with one tool it's still a steel knife. I'm not up to the purist level yet.. I just like bending wood.

It was more just a fun experiment to make a lashed/glue free take down from lumber. I didn't have much time tonight but I did get my 2.5 inch by 36 inch billets ripped. And it's laid out. I'll get some pictures of the attempt. Not really a build along but more of a follow along. I'm going to try it without dowels. Just two limbs lashed tightly together. Still deciding on whether to use a riser piece or lash the two limbs directly to one another like fiddler. Should be entertaining!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 12:13:54 pm »
 I do it all the time, except I usually just taper front to back and make a scarf joint.  Sometime I just put a couple holes and bolt it together with flat head bolts, but sometimes I just pin it with dowels and wrap it with rawhide or cord.  I'm in the middle of one right now made out of two ash shovel handles.

The hang-ups are this.  The handle MUST be more than thick enough, with fades and dips that end far away from the splice, and a good bit into the limb.  This is to avoid flexing the handle much where the grain is cut through on the underside splice.  I put the splice mostly in the handle and wrap the heck out of it.  I usually thin some Tb III just barely with water ad soak the hemp or linen cord in it before I wrap, so I goes down very smoothly, and I THINK it swells the cord, so it shrinks while it dries.  Not much longitudinally, but  some.  When I'm done, it's hard and smooth, and sometimes, just like with sinew, I put it down in layers so it will dry properly.  I have also wrapped it with baling wire, then wrapped sting and glue over that, or leather.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:30 pm »
Not sure if the intention was to have a take- down or not???

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
Pat the original plan was to make a takedown, but my lunch break blueprints for the lashing-only idea leave me questioning durability and functionality. I think I might be overstepping my current skill level here, and I rarely come across a piece of hickory this pristine. I'd be a little sad if it broke. I'm considering abandoning the idea and just doing a billet splice, non-bending handle, glued and doweled.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1