Author Topic: Hey yew guys!  (Read 5413 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Hey yew guys!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:02:03 pm »
Jeff - if it were me chasing a ring on that to reduce sapwood thickness I'd still be aiming for one ring. Aim for perfection then if you deviate a bit you'll be ok. It also bends like butter for your recurves :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:26 pm »
Jeff - if it were me chasing a ring on that to reduce sapwood thickness I'd still be aiming for one ring. Aim for perfection then if you deviate a bit you'll be ok. It also bends like butter for your recurves :)
Hi everybody!It's Uncle Mike! (to be read in doctor Nick voice from the Simpsons)
Del :laugh:
Good to see you
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:22 pm »
I only experienced 21 days of the 70's so I wouldn't know  ;D

Man, you are young, I was there for 206.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:49 pm »
I was there for all of them, man. At least that's what I've been told :o :o :o

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:44 pm »
When thinning the sapwood, should I aim for an even thickness top to bottom, or try to stay in one ring as much as possible, which would probably result in a little unevenness in sapwood thickness?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 12:49:03 am »
You can can only have one or the other.
If it were me I'd aim for one thickness.
I've always backed or snake skinned those bow, I don't like the look of violated sapwood, even if I don't personally believe it flaws the bows strength (for moderate weight bows)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 06:56:19 pm »
Do you all prefer a rasp or a scraper or a drawknife for thinning sapwood?  My thinking is rasp first until I am close, and then scraper for the fine work. . .

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 06:58:34 pm »
Chasing a yew sapwood ring is actually relatively easy. Because your stave has pretty wide rings, AND very few knots, it'll be a perfect candidate to chase a ring on. Even doable for a beginner.
I suggest you narrow the stave somewhat first. It makes no sense to chase a ring over the full width of 3", while you may end up with only 1/2" wide tip. It would be best to rough out the bow to the correct width, but to leave it 1/2" wider. Then thin the sapwood, and only then come down to the final width profile.
When chasing a ring in yew sapwood, I would first count rings and check the thickness over the entire length of the stave. You can either have a continuous sapwood thickness, and the cost of cutting through some rings. Or you can follow one ring faithfully, resulting in slightly uneven sapwood thickness. Myself, I usually go for the latter. If that means the sapwood will be very uneven, you could "step through" a few rings in the stiff handle. That may mean that one limb consists of six rings of sapwood, and the other limb has nine rings.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:02:48 pm »
I actually use all three tools: drawknife, rasp and scraper. In that order. I mark the ring that I'm going after first. I then go down and approach that ring with the drawknife but leave about two rings on top. The rasp gets it all flat, and gets me close to the ring I'm going after. I then switch to the scraper to remove the final layer of wood.
I usually work small stretches of about 6-8" length at once. It allows me to keep an eye on the depth I need to go.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286