Author Topic: Would you trust this splice? *More pics added  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Chief RID

Re: Would you trust this splice?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 05:18:33 am »
I don't see it? What do the dowels do? What holds the thing together? I ain't never spliced anything so what do I know. Good luck!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 05:32:37 am »
I don't see it? What do the dowels do? What holds the thing together? I ain't never spliced anything so what do I know. Good luck!
I think the dowels are there to use up some old dowels that have been lying around for ages ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 05:59:10 am »
I'm with Del & Ajooter I would  also shoot 2 stainless  screws with apoxy on the threads ether side of the joint  before putting a lamb over the back or if you wanted to stay all wood you could route a Chanel or cut with a mortise chesile  and put a hard wood inlays before the lamb. Not exactly traditional but would be strong as heck !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 07:03:29 am »
As far as building bows that's not a splice. If it was mine I'd cut it at the butt joint, get a piece of 1-1/4" pipe and make a takedown
I agree with what Bubby recommended.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 07:21:59 am »
DC there was probably enough for a Z but I'm pretty inexperienced at Z and W. Don't have a bandsaw but after this endeavor I'm gonna go grab a miter hand saw and practice hand cut splices.

Cloud feather, I was gonna shape and wrap before I started bending. More time invested if it does explode but more insurance that it won't I figured.

Del your success with the lam is encouraging

Mike, the board is 3/4 inch thick and u was gonna make sure the limbs didn't bend til well out of the fades.

Chief Rid, honestly I guess I thought the dowels would give it more glued surface all the way through.. maybe some extra stability, and make it just more "connected" haha. I don't know. An experiment I guess?

Bender I don't want any metal in this one. Thought about routing a Chanel at first but I've never been able to route on hickory without bad tear outs. Didn't wanna risk it. The no metal plan also ruled out sleeve take down. Just not what I was goin for with this one.

Gonna start bending Sunday!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 07:47:21 am »
I've tried the wood dowels approach to save a low-poundage bow where the handle had popped off. I used just 3 dowels and they were not as big as yours. It was a failure.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 08:43:27 am »
Many years ago I thought dowels would reinforce a splice, I found the wood would crack around the dowels and haven't used them since.

I would go back to square one on your splice and make a correct one.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 08:53:15 am »
Replace those inner dowels with bolts and make it look like a takedown.   Call it a "fakedown" >:D   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:57:15 am by k-hat »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:41 am »
Overlay the butt joint stoutly. (Like with a 3/16 hardwood lam) Then shape the handle down to slightly under your grip size, and wrap it VERY tightly in glue saturated high strength fiber/cord.  That should do it...
OneBow

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 09:47:00 am »
I'm with Del & Ajooter I would  also shoot 2 stainless  screws with apoxy on the threads ether side of the joint  before putting a lamb over the back or if you wanted to stay all wood you could route a Chanel or cut with a mortise chesile  and put a hard wood inlays before the lamb. Not exactly traditional but would be strong as heck !

I don't even think an adult sheep will save it.  :P

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 10:32:42 am »
if the boards are so nice like you say,, then no need to break them,, try your questionable splice on a scrap piece of wood to see if it will work,,
on your good piece of wood,, make a take down,,
or even a simple fishtail splice would work on a lower poundage,,
no need to experiment on you straight boards,, till you have proven your splice on a scrap piece of wood,,,

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 11:01:33 am »
redhawk got high marks for his two limb glued handle bow

you guys are being to hard on make-n-break

The title of the topic is do we trust this splice, no body being hard on him but ask an honest question get an honest answer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 11:50:28 am »
I had a quarter-sawn hickory factory made bow that had sat in an open shed for 20 years or so in fog, high humidity, severe cold and summer heat. The first time I pulled it, the glue let go.

The limbs were joined with a short, mulit-fingered glue joint such as is used in economy door and window trim and it had a separate handle piece glued to the back. The fingers were no more than 1/2 inch long.

I cleaned out the old glue and reassembled it with Titebond II. It held and the bow became a shooter again. That was about 20 years ago and it was still holding when I gave it away about a year ago.

Soooooo, I think your doweled joint might hold. Hope yo try it.

Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
like ajooter said if you put another lam on the back across the joint it may hold
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 01:20:27 pm »
The title of the topic is do we trust this splice, no body being hard on him but ask an honest question get an honest answer

you are right bubby, went back and fixed it , being droll does not come through well in forum posting