Author Topic: Ottawa or scalloped bows  (Read 2002 times)

Offline bigcountry

Ottawa or scalloped bows
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:41:24 pm »
Started a scalloped flatbow today.  Haven't built a bow in almost 2 years.  I had a hickory stave, that has a self back.  All the scalloped bows I have seen have been quarter sawn, and Rich "half eye" seems to use ash.  So my question is, has anyone ever made one of these bows out of round back stave?  I just wonder if quarter sawn is better with the scallops.
Westminster, MD

Offline JonW

Re: Ottawa or scalloped bows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:33:38 pm »
Either is fine. Originals were staves. I have used several different types of wood.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:26 am »
Bigcountry,
     The bows I made from ash were only because that was the "traditional" wood of the Odawa. I have made them from grey elm, red elm, Ironwood, hard maple and several others. While the Odawa would use the ash (traditionally) the Ojibwa and Pottawatomii used ironwood (traditionally) You can make scalloped bows from any of the good bow woods.
     Most all of the Great Lakes area tribes had one or more sorts of scalloped bows. All of the Iroquois nations, Fox/Saulk, Menominii, Shawnee, and others I cant call to mind this instant....For what it is worth the Iroquois used a lot of hickory and I believe that the Shawnee did as well.
    The quarter sawn thing is from when a stave is split down you sometimes wind up with a "sliver" that is too narrow to use as is. If you lay that down on its side you have a "quartersawed" board and yes they do make excellent bows....but the vast majority were probably regular type of staves.
    Hope that helps some
rich

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:22 am »
Good to see you still around Rich.  I was going to call you last night, but not sure if it was too late.  Wanted some advise on laying out the scallops,
Westminster, MD

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:58:28 am »
Feel free to call sir.....if after 9PM ya might have a difficulty >:D but anytime before that is good.
rich