Author Topic: 42 inch black locust sinew bow, pics of paint handle and string added  (Read 6783 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: 42 inch black locust sinew bow almost finished
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:10 am »
thank you guys for the positive comments,, I really appreciate the positive input,,
Dragoman I am on the conservative side of how far to pull a bow,, I think this one would pull safely to 21 inches,, thats about normal for a sinew bow(draw being half the length of the bow),, that being said, I am sure it would draw further,, but I don't know if it would be safe :) the tips are not recurved so at some point the string coming off would be an issue,,also I have never made a black locust sinew bow, so was concerned if it might fret,,,,but is has held up nicely,,  I would not want to push it any further,,with my limited experience with sinew and black locust,,

Stick Bender,, I have an idea to finish it,, I have some nice rawhide strips for the handle, and I plan to paint the back to give it some protection from the weather, I will put the base coat on today and post pics as I go,, also I have a sinew string to try on it,, and started working on some dogwood shafts yesterday, got the feathers on one arrow and want to test it and see how it flies today,,  :)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: 42 inch black locust sinew bow almost finished
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 03:47:12 pm »
I painted the back black,, and not sure what else I will do design wise,, it looks nice simple,, less is more,, but let me think a day or two while it dries and see what happens, the dog wood shaft seems to fit the bow and the sinew string is waiting to be fitted to the bow when it dries,,, the handle is raw hide from a drum repair, african goat,,

Offline Aaron H

Re: 42 inch black locust sinew bow, pics of paint handle and string added
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »
Black never goes out of style, I like it

Offline rps3

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:31:40 pm »
Looking good.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:10 am »
Nice work  I like the shorties too, just have to get used to shooting them!