Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle for arrow shafts  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Crepe Myrtle for arrow shafts
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »
I am about to prune my crep myrtle and noticed some really nice straight sprouts a little bigger than 3/8". I think I will bundle up a few to dry and see if they make good arrows.

I know some folk have made bows out of the wood but don't remember seeing anything about arrows.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Crepe Myrtle for arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:34:54 pm »
I'm curious to see how it works out, Eric. The city plants them all over town and prunes them every year. There are piles on every street corner or a month when they do it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »
The wood is pretty heavy but that's not a bad thing. I'm curious to see how they work for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:00:59 am »
Cool, I want to see!

I haven't seen a straight woody shoot that just wouldn't work as an arrow, but, they all have their little idiosyncrasies.  I bet they could look beautiful.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:23:43 am »

As my Brother would say, that stuff, is harder than the knobs of hell!  But it will crack while drying, if the ends are not sealed.  I have some big pieces that I am going to carve on, and it has split quit a bit.  If you want to make a nice war club, that will do it!  Interested to see how they do as arrows.  As a side note, the leaves, are good for diabetes.  The Herbalists sell the powdered leaves as a herb called Banaba.  It doesn't taste bad.  Well, get some shoots.  ............ ;)

Wayne

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:45 am »
I did my pruning yesterday, turns out the sprouts were a lot bigger close up than when viewed from a distance. I threw back one shaft for a test but it will have to be whittled on to get it down to arrow diameter.

Offline le0n

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:45:58 am »
on trad gang: http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=114739

i too grabbed a few from the pruning this year. i left them bundled outside though. it's been over a month and the unsealed ends haven't split.